ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Roth
Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)
on Jul 10, 2016 at 2:03:59 am

I have an average PC I just built to handle AE on a budget. I'm working through the Adobe After Effects Classroom in a Book 2015 Edition, Lesson 11. This book is clearly designed to accommodate users with computers far weaker than mine. I'm a beginning AE user and I ran into extreme slowdown during Lesson 11 - "Using 3D Features." Here are my system specifications...

CPU: Intel I7 - 6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 2170A ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 (4x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForge GTX 960
PSU: EVGA 220 550W
COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5"
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 BG 2.5"

I'm running both the OS, AE, and the cache files on the SSD (C:) and the footage and project file is on the 7200rpm 1TB internal drive.

I am halfway through the lesson and my composition looks like this...
x1 Camera (20mm, default settings)
x1 Light (Spot Light, colored blue, positioned as fill light above and to the side of text)
x1 Light (Spot Light, colored orange, positioned as key light above text)
x1 Text Layer (basic text, not extruded)
x1 Background Layer (1.0MB JPG photo)

The composition is 3D and Casts Shadows is turned to ON in the Material options properties for the text later, and the Diffuse, Specular Intensity, and Specular Shininess values have been modified by a few percentage points. Just after I add the camera AE basically freezes and experiences EXTREME slowdown to the point where I have to ALT+F4 out of AE. I have no other programs running. This is what Task Manager has to say...

All I'm doing is running a simple 3D comp with one background image, a text layer, two lights, and a camera, with no animation yet, and no effects applied. What's going wrong? The CPU usage reads 15% even though it is clearly maxing out at 4.15 GHz. Is this a Windows 10 issue, is it a hardware issue, or do I just need a 200 core 400 GHz liquid cooled system to run After Effects? XD

PS: If some vets could just quickly list the effects and features that are generally known to be the most performance hungry and AE that would help me a lot as a beginning user.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
Re: Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)
on Jul 10, 2016 at 3:48:42 am

i have same specs as you with gtx 980 and antec psu my efter effects run fine even on full mode.

if you have 2 ssd assign 1ssd for writing file and other ssd for reading.
press caps and go to edit / purge all.
right click on composition and disable 3d ray traced.
go to preference and select gpu rather then cpu in display settings.

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 5:39:49 am

Ray Tracing isn't on, it's on Classic 3D. I just purged the cache and set Ray Tracing to the GPU (unsupported) and it still basically freezes when I add the camera layer. I just barely managed to undo the action of adding the camera layer and once the camera layer is gone the comp runs fine.

To make a quick test I just created a new composition with a blank white solid, two lights, and a camera layer. I even animated the solid to move away on the z axis and rotated the camera around it while the two lights were shining. Everything worked fine.

What's going on? :\

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:13:58 am

your camera layer what sort of camera is it and by the looks of it , it looks like its inlarged taking up alot of space.

can you go to your camera properties and copy and paste all these data here so i can just copy and past them into mine and se the effect of it.

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:25:47 am

All I'm doing is adding a new camera layer at default settings.

I can't add the camera layer without almost crashing AE so here are the settings before I add it in. I tried my experiment from before (the new composition with 2 lights, camera, and a solid) and added text to it. The comp ran fine, for some reason this comp freaks out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2016 at 3:50:01 pm

I would start by turning off the lights, disabling the shadows, and seeing how AE performs. If there's little or no change, you have other issues.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 5:54:47 pm

I backtracked by deleting both light layers, and disabling the Casts Shadows in Material Options. Left with just the background image and text (in 3D) I added a camera. No problems so far. I added the first and second lights, went to Light settings and entered the values. No problem so far. I enabled Casts Shadows. Again, no problems. With both lights shining, the camera in place, and all the settings enabled, I tuned the final value; camera position. I adjust the last value, the (z) axis of the light. The slowdown happened again, as soon as I adjusted the (z) axis of the first light, the key light.

The location I am moving it to is (x)955, (y)-102, (z)-2000 as per the book instructions. Entering the last value, (z)-2000, immediately creates extreme lag. Is it my hardware not being powerful enough to handle a light at (z)-2000, or is it a bug?

My CPU is maxing out at 4.13 GHz even though task manager reads that it's working at 15% capacity. ??

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:25:10 pm

do me one thing rar this project as it is and give it to me i will open it and test it here i have both after effects 2014/15 version.

i told you i have the same specs as you only my gpu and psu is better then yours. and i have 2 ssd.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:29:44 pm

so i have the i7 6700k also and in stock my cpu is at 4.0ghz.

my friend let me tell you something . did you over clock your cpu ? yours is at 4.13ghz .
if you over clocked it do u have a good cpu cooler, if not then this is were the problem coming from mate.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:32:08 pm

whats happening is your turnng up the value and its using the cpu to render it but since its overclocked and cpu getting heated fast without a good cooler your pc will hang this is the bottleneck double check your overclock settings.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:36:02 pm

if i was you il go back to stock 4.00ghz , mine is on that and i have no problems.

before you overclock you should have known the bad side off it ,

1: if not done correctly cpu life is shortened.
2: if cpu gets heated and freezez pc its a bad sign , to much of this and pc wil shut on you and not start again , cpu dead.
3: cpu compound not applied well + cpu cooler to handle your over clock setting + good psu.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:41:45 pm

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOMEEE-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0219, 7/17/2015
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name homeee-PC\homeee
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.0 GB
Page File Space 15.9 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 980, NVIDIA compatible

Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 465.66 GB (500,001,951,744 bytes)
Free Space 131.89 GB (141,616,402,432 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number 3CCD3988

Drive D:
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 223.57 GB (240,054,693,888 bytes)
Free Space 202.30 GB (217,218,469,888 bytes)
Volume Name vfx cache drive
Volume Serial Number 202A0C94

Drive E:
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 931.41 GB (1,000,097,181,696 bytes)
Free Space 859.48 GB (922,857,844,736 bytes)
Volume Name storage
Volume Serial Number F85E1034

Drive F:
Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive G:
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 465.76 GB (500,105,216,000 bytes)
Free Space 100.70 GB (108,121,423,872 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number A457E23F

my pc specs

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:05:37 pm

10283_lesson11.rar.zip

I haven't overclocked my CPU. My PC is a custom build and only a few weeks old but running solid. I think the CPU can go a bit over 4.0 GHz even at factory defaults when pushed to its limits, which obviously AE is doing for some reason. I have a great aftermarket cooler that could push an OC to at least 4.5 GHz (although people have clocked higher using the same CPU and cooler) and my system is well-ventilated so it's not a heat issue.

The RAR of my Project is above, straight from the tutorial files. It includes a sample movie of what the finished product should look like.

As far as I can tell, AE is having trouble using cameras in conjunction with distant lights. As I increase the (z) value closer and closer to the tutorial-specified value of (z)-2000 AE gets increasingly annoyed and slows down until I literally have to force quit the program.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:26:25 pm

Okay, let's define "slow".

What does it mean to you: "not instantaneous"? An hour per frame? Someplace in-between?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:54:50 pm

Okay, let's define "slow".

What does it mean to you: "not instantaneous"? An hour per frame? Someplace in-between?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Effects refuses to respond to any button presses, I put my cursor over buttons and there is no highlight, it stays like that indefinitely until I remove the camera layer. I can maybe manage to display a drop-down menu but it takes a good 30 seconds to do so. Windows says the program is not responding. Even hitting Undo takes 30 seconds before AE takes the camera layer off.

I didn't OC my CPU, it's factory unlocked. I have not touched any CPU settings, all I did was put it onto the PC and install Windows 10. I got it from NewEgg, it's not a second-hand CPU or anything. If you're saying it's faulty that's another issue altogether...

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:44:35 pm

my friend i told you i have same processory and other parts same as you and i have not overclocked , by looking at yours ghz i can tell its been over clocked.

now running winrar low cpu intensive apps will not show the sign , but when using cpu intense apps then the real problem will show up and it has its about time you fix it or you wll never come to an end its not the app issue its your cpu being over clocked , go to toms hardware forum and tell them what your experiencing they wil tel u.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:48:07 pm

checked your project added camera no problems its fast il make yotube video so u can se.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2016 at 9:12:16 pm

It's NEVER a good idea to overclock processors -- you're trying to make them do things they weren't designed to do.

But I suspect other things. Please give us the PRECISE vervion numbers of your OS & AE. Down to the last decimal point. "The newest ones" is an insufficient answer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 9:25:10 pm

windows_os.png

ae_version.png

I don't know how many times I have to say it; I have not overclocked my CPU. I have not changed any factory settings in my PC whatsoever or voided any warranties.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:28:05 pm

re install it se the effect of new changes..

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:33:03 pm

It seems to be a bug. I made a composition with similar (but not exactly similar) settings and there was no slowdown. I even reused the assets from the tutorial. I just want to make sure that my CPU is interacting with AE in a healthy way and there is no hardware problem on my end...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]