ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change the shape of a comp in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian KoudijsChange the shape of a comp in AE
by on Jul 9, 2016 at 9:20:39 am

I am quite new to After Effects an d I have been doing several tutorials online to get some skills. The latest tutorial was to make a shockwave, which is really cool. All shockwaves I have found though are circular and I wonder if there is a way to change the shape of the shockwave (or any other comp for that matter) to for example a star, ellips or square.

I would imagine there is some kind of effect that you can lay over everything that shapes it to a mask or so, I just don't know what it is.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Change the shape of a comp in AE
by on Jul 9, 2016 at 2:33:31 pm

It depends entirely on how you're creating the shockwave... But yes - you can make things any shape you want.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian KoudijsRe: Change the shape of a comp in AE
by on Jul 9, 2016 at 2:48:08 pm

Well, I followed

tutorial, so I used a mask to make a linear wave that I then made circular with Polar Coordinates.
How would you do to make, lets say, a star shaped shockwave?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Change the shape of a comp in AE
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 7:34:03 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 11, 2016 at 7:42:34 am

You can make a star shape and distort it through reverse polar coordinates (polar to rectangular) to see what shape you should make that becomes the shape you want when Polar coordinates are used on it.

Here's a five-pointed star shape run though reverse polar coordinates in Photoshop.

Due to the nature of the polar coordinates transformation, you'll need to stretch the shape more vertically as you get further from the center (top):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved