ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recreating K.I.T.T's voice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soham JaniRecreating K.I.T.T's voice
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:59:09 pm
Last Edited By Soham Jani on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:01:47 pm

Sorry, I know this should be posted in the audition forum but it doesn't seem very active. I saw another post on the same topic as me but it seemed nobody took them seriously, unfortunately. So, I was wondering if there's a way to achieve that metallic/somewhag robotic voice from KITT in Knight Rider. I'll try to speak in his tone as much as possible but it defiently needs tweaking. May I add, this is for a group project I'm working on so help would be much appreciated.

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Recreating K.I.T.T's voice
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:52:41 pm

Posting in the wrong forum, not to mention pointing out that someone already asked the question, is not a good way to be taken any more seriously than your predecessor.

KITT didn't have much in the way of vocal processing added to it. It was EQ'd to sound like it was coming out of a small speaker, and that's about it--maybe a very small amount of spatial reverb to make it sound like it was playing in a small space. EQ the low audio frequencies down, and it'll make the voice sound tinny.

And don't post audio questions in the After Effects forum...because some of the regulars are a hell of a lot grouchier than me!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Recreating K.I.T.T's voice
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 11:00:01 pm

I hope it came across as more goofy than grouchy, but I confess I had a bit of fun at the expense of the original poster [link] (who looks just like you, Soham!). I'll repent, for just this one audio question in the wrong forum.

I concur with the tinny EQ suggestions. I'd suggest also adding a little flange for that metallic edge. The most crucial aspect, though, is really the performance!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Recreating K.I.T.T's voice
by on Jul 7, 2016 at 4:17:20 pm

Hah, I wasn't referring to you, or anything specifically written in that thread--I didn't look it up. Just pointing out that sometimes the demeanor around here isn't friendly to stupid questions--and rightly so, in many cases :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Recreating K.I.T.T's voice
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:54:14 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:54:29 pm

First of all, record the voice in a room with no echoes or any kind of reverb. Think about putting pillows around the mic. That's important. No background noise, no kind of ambience.

Then, play with Audition's Graphic equalizer until it sounds right.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved