ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vignette (red giant misfire)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William SaviolaVignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:28:45 pm

I have an red giant effects plugin which I love and still use:

"mis fire vignette"

I just wanted to know how people here would go to get the same effect manually built in after effects if the plugin is not used.

I know how to do a standard vignette but I am trying to replicate the effect.

I am thinking either

add the multiply effect to a circular mask

or

adjustment layer and curves (darken) with a a mask

any one else have another solution to gain the same results?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:01:46 pm

Jeez, I've never even considered it. I just make 'em as I need 'em, and I probably make each one a little differently.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Vignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:50:45 am

I use Misfire vignette all the time and love it! In CC there is the new CC Vignette tool which is pretty close, just make sure to set "Pin Highlights" to 100.

Otherwise a good ol adjustment layer, oval mask, LOTS of feather and curves does the trick.

Don't use "Multiply" because that will dirty your whites - which is definitely NOT what misfire vignette does.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

William SaviolaRe: Vignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 11:40:23 am

The CC Vignette is decent but its still not the same.

Just have no idea how else to do it.

Red Giant have got rid of mis fire vignette too now as it does not ship with any of the recent plugin sets???

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Vignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:36:34 pm

I did notice that it was missing when I upgraded to CC :( I'd just do it with curves, that should get you a close enough look.
The main difference from what I can tell is that misfire vignette adds a bit more contrast in the shadows, so maybe you can combine a soft CC vignette and a tighter curves layer around the edges.

If you get something good looking send me a project file and I'll make you a script to automatically add it to your comp so you don't need to make it by hand ever time. I'll need it anyway for when I fully upgrade to CC :) I've been wanting to make a tool that has, among other things, a custom vignette. I did it for Nuke and ever since I've wanted something similar for After Effects...

- Spencer

Return to posts index

William SaviolaRe: Vignette (red giant misfire)
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 4:40:27 pm

I contacted Red Giant and they have said the effect is now bundles with Red Giant Universe!

We would not need a script Spencer but just a saved preset so we can apply it directly on to the layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]