ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating Faux Hair Edge-Effect form Puppet-Pined Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aubrey BolesCreating Faux Hair Edge-Effect form Puppet-Pined Layer
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:15:22 pm

I've got an IK rig, using Shape Layers Puppet Pins linked to null objects parented to various parts of a creature's skeleton.

I want to make the edges rough, roughly similar to hair. This doesn't need to be particularly accurate, as the image will be displayed behind some cloth (Giving the impression of a shadow passing behind the cloth). The Roughen Edge effects would be fine if the layers where not animated, but the shimmering the effect causes doesn't look as good as I would like. I've tried using the CC Hair effect, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

(The rig consisted of a skeleton rigged with DuIK, with Puppet Pined shape layers acting as musculature. I plan on using this "hair-effect" on each of the relevant muscle layers to create the idea of short hair.)

Return to posts index

Aubrey BolesRe: Creating Faux Hair Edge-Effect form Puppet-Pined Layer
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 5:12:19 pm

I just talked with a friend of mine, and he recommended I switch the order of effects to have the Roughen Edge" before the puppet pin. That works pretty well for most of it. He also pointed me to this: to precompose the shape layers.

I figured I'd share the info here for others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved