ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DPX import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
DPX import
on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:54:34 am

Anyone know how to import DPX files in the correct colour space please?

Same query in photoshop as well please....

--------------------------------- chris -----

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: DPX import
on Jul 5, 2016 at 12:05:27 pm

What do you mean "in the correct color space"? The color space is whatever they were rendered out to.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Jul 5, 2016 at 1:50:56 pm

Hi Tero

--- thanks for speedy reply ......

........ when I view the DPX files the contrast and colours are wrong - when I worked on Flint you had to have the correct colour space on the project file to view input images correctly - maybe it is different on AE - perhaps AE automaticaly sets things up...

........ or have I just got a naff render --- done by a London facility so I cant check it here.

------------------------------------------- cheers --- chris --

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:26:51 pm

[chris brett] "when I worked on Flint you had to have the correct colour space on the project file to view input images correctly"

It's the same with Ae, and that's what Tero is describing. You'll need to tell Ae how to handle the footage. You can do one of few workflows:

1) Enable color management by choosing a working space for your project in Project Settings. This will allow you to use Interpret Footage to assign a color profile for your assets.

2) Skip Ae's color management and do your color management by hand. Precompose your DPX sequence and apply the Color Profile Converter effect to the footage. You can use that to specify what the source footage should be.

3) Check out Christian Lett's qt Nuclear LUT [link], which simulates NUKE's read/write nodes.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:14:55 pm

Hi Walter

Many thanks for such a speedy and thorough reply - much appreciated.

All the best ---- chris --

=====================================

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Jul 5, 2016 at 6:34:11 pm

--- the colour space research was very interesting ( thanks Walter ) and it went into linear versus srgb which was veryinteresting indeed as I have never looked at this before......

Would be very interested to know what other artists use and exactly how to set the render output so it looks right on PAL monitors. ( or do I just leave it as it was before )

------------------------------ all comments most welcome ---- cheers -----chris --

========================================================....

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 5, 2016 at 8:58:09 pm

Chris, the point of color management is to help you get the right colors at each phase of the project. I've written about color management extensively here in this forum [link], there's a lot of good information on Ae's approach to color management in the documentation [link], and ye olde white paper on color management in CS4 [link] still applies.

If you're using Ae's color management, then just make sure that you're either using your final output space as the working space, or in case you're working on a different space than you outputting to, that you've set the correct destination space in the Color Management tab of the output module.

If you're managing color manually, then make sure that you're transforming incoming clips to the standard you want, or that you are using an adjustment layer or similar above your comp to transform to your output space.

You may choose to do all this in Rec. 709 if your destination is HD.

If you have any specific questions on what to do or what's going on behind the scenes, I'm happy to try to answer.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36:52 pm

-- many many thanks Walter - very much appreciated.

--- would be very interested to know if you use a linear colourspace - been reading some very good things about it

-------------------------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:55:48 pm

[chris brett] "would be very interested to know if you use a linear colourspace - been reading some very good things about it"

Often, but not always.

I almost always use a linear workflow for 3D renders or straight-up compositing for the more natural light calculations. I often use a linear workflow for mograph -- it can yield significantly better motion blur.

Not everything is better in linear. Color correction tools tend to feel more natural in a gamma-encoded space (though you can sandwich them between color profile conversions to cheat and get the best of both worlds). Dissolves don't feel right. Other artists don't always understand linear workflow, so collaboration can be hard.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]