ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Dickmann
How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
on Jul 4, 2016 at 7:15:11 pm

This may have been covered before, but the CC forums have helped me tremendously in the past, so here goes:

I have animated the stroke of a set of 5 squares oriented to look like a wireframe cube. Each of these are attached to a null layer, which I have animated the y-rotation property. What I want to do is time remap the stroke animation so I can ease the keyframes without affecting the y-rotation animation. Since I am unaware of a way to create a 3D wireframe cube with an animatable stroke property, I was forced to piece it together myself, which makes it very difficult to realistically ease the keyframes since the stroke animation jumps from between all 5 sides before fully finishing the stroke of any one side.

I can't precomp because then the y-rotation property is affected, and it's impossible to recreate the rotation in the main comp when the pre-comp is treated as a 3D plane rather than a cube.

I suppose I could precomp each side of the cube and reposition them, but we motion graphic people tend to work smart not hard

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:23:19 pm

Why do you need to time remap it? Why not just ease the keyframes?

Return to posts index

Alex Dickmann
Re: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:49:39 pm

As you can see in the attached image, if I eased the keyframes, I would end up with each stroke being eased. There are 5 different strokes on 5 different shape layers so by easing them, I end up with a jerky stop-and-go looking animation. I eased them and rendered it so you might see what I am talking about.

10260_easedkeyframes.mov.zip

Fortunately, I have found an animation that does the trick with the y-rotation property being eased as well as the strokes. I am actually pretty happy with it, but for the sake of learning, I want to see if this sort of thing is possible.

10261_complete.mov.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]