ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex DickmannHow can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 4, 2016 at 7:15:11 pm

This may have been covered before, but the CC forums have helped me tremendously in the past, so here goes:

I have animated the stroke of a set of 5 squares oriented to look like a wireframe cube. Each of these are attached to a null layer, which I have animated the y-rotation property. What I want to do is time remap the stroke animation so I can ease the keyframes without affecting the y-rotation animation. Since I am unaware of a way to create a 3D wireframe cube with an animatable stroke property, I was forced to piece it together myself, which makes it very difficult to realistically ease the keyframes since the stroke animation jumps from between all 5 sides before fully finishing the stroke of any one side.

I can't precomp because then the y-rotation property is affected, and it's impossible to recreate the rotation in the main comp when the pre-comp is treated as a 3D plane rather than a cube.

I suppose I could precomp each side of the cube and reposition them, but we motion graphic people tend to work smart not hard

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:01:50 am

I don't get why you're having problem. Make just one cube face as a square comp. Animate the lines as desired in it. Use this one comp as the six cube faces in a main comp. Add a null in the center of the cube, parent the faces to it and animate the null as desired.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex DickmannRe: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:20:14 am

Hey Dave,

The problem is caused by the fact that not each face of the cube is animated the same way. I'm trying to give the illusion that the entire wireframe cube is just one big trim path rather than having an animated square. The stroke travels for instance, two edges of the front facing square and then the top square strokes towards the back facing square, which then completes 75% of its stroke. It essentially looks like one line is randomly stroking along the edges of the whole cube, and because of this, I am unaware of a way to take several layers with keyframes in different places and of different values, and make it look like it is eased.

I realize I'm not explaining this too well, so I have attached a video of my current animation:

10259_animatedpinkcube.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 4:20:28 pm

Sorry, I'm not going to be too much help to you. I don't see anything wrong with that animation. I looks okay to me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:23:19 pm

Why do you need to time remap it? Why not just ease the keyframes?

Return to posts index

Alex DickmannRe: How can I time remap an shape layer animation without precomping?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:49:39 pm

As you can see in the attached image, if I eased the keyframes, I would end up with each stroke being eased. There are 5 different strokes on 5 different shape layers so by easing them, I end up with a jerky stop-and-go looking animation. I eased them and rendered it so you might see what I am talking about.

10260_easedkeyframes.mov.zip

Fortunately, I have found an animation that does the trick with the y-rotation property being eased as well as the strokes. I am actually pretty happy with it, but for the sake of learning, I want to see if this sort of thing is possible.

10261_complete.mov.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]