ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anyway, to fix crappy footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marinos Ziakas
Anyway, to fix crappy footage?
on Jul 2, 2016 at 1:55:07 pm

I used Neat Video plug-in and High Pass filter. Still the exposure is super low because of that we have "Dancing" dark pixels in the edges of the video....and i lost much of the sharpness because of neat video PI.

I am sorry. I am thinking of using VHS distorion but i think is going to make this worse.

Is there a way to fix this or to add some sort of distorion around the edges so it will look that this crappy footage was intentional? Help.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Anyway, to fix crappy footage?
on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:41:32 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:58:54 am

Are you talking about the TV screen shots or the entire film?

I can't really see the "dancing dark pixels" problem. I see YouTube compression artifacts.

Since you've already put it through Neat Video, there's not much more you can do for the image quality. While it gets rid of the noise, it also gets rid of other details. That's pretty much unavoidable. If the main problem is the darkness of the footage, try adjusting the brightness with a curves adjustment first, before you put it through the plug-in.

I've had good results with Re:Vision Deflicker, but that's another investment.

Perhaps you could do an overall treatment that gave it apparent quality. A duplicate of the layer with a large-radius (20-40) gaussian blur and 10-20% opacity softens things out. Adding grain back in gives it a film look.

The darkness of the footage didn't really bother me. I just got the feeling it was night time. So maybe the easiest solution would be to emphasize the night-time and claustrophobic feel with vignetted edges and a bit of a spot-light effect in the center.

Return to posts index

Marinos Ziakas
on Jul 3, 2016 at 10:18:58 am

Thank you really for the answer. i was talking about the entire film.

I don't know where to start; i can use the Re:vision deflicker but i don't know how.

Should i use it with the overall treatment that you mentioned?

I thought about vignetted edges as well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 3, 2016 at 1:37:10 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 3, 2016 at 1:46:13 pm

I assume you've already come a long way from the original footage, so I don't know how much this will help...

I would try this on one piece of the original footage and see if it is worth the trouble to apply it to all:

1) Take your original footage and curve it lighter with a luma curve.

2) Run that footage through Neat Video to get rid of the noise

3) (Maybe) Run the resulting footage through Deflicker to try and get rid of the remaining flicker (I don't know how much Deflicker can do with an already fixed footage. You'll just have to try and see.)

4) Add a vignetted edge.

5) (Maybe) Add a spotlight-looking radial gradient in the center (subtle)

6) Add an adjustment layer with gaussian blur at large radius and at low opacity

7) Add a bit of film grain back in to compensate for all lack of grain

Return to posts index

Marinos Ziakas
on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:19:33 pm

Thanks for the help, i have tried everything except 3D spotlight and vignette . I think the result is almost the same. Thanks anyway.

10255_gdbflicker.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:10:34 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:18:48 am

Couple of other thoughts:

- Desaturate footage to even out color noise.

- Channel Combiner with the setting of to Green to Lightness; green channel has the best detail.

(- Warp stabilizer to get smooth out unwanted camera shake.)

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:58:00 am

I threw everything described above except for the gaussian blur onto your MP4 with this result (before and after):

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 5, 2016 at 1:09:06 pm

The green channel trick pulls his face tones out of the darkness as well.

Return to posts index

Marinos Ziakas
on Jul 11, 2016 at 11:29:57 am

Sorry i couldn't asnwer but your trick seem to work. Thank you so much. I will keep it in mind next time if i screw up..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]