ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Phone screen replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis SandovalPhone screen replacement
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 4:27:24 pm

Hi,
I've searched around on the forums and I'm looking for a tutorial that'll help me with replacing the screen on an iPhone. Specifically when someone is interacting with it. I've tried quite a few techniques and the tracker keeps following the hand movements (even when I've tracked the hands and removed them).
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Phone screen replacement
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:30:58 pm

Yes -- Mocha does a good job of tracking screens, as long as the phone is held fairly still. If the subject moves the phone a lot, or totally obscures the screen, it could get tricky or perhaps even impossible, in which case consider what you have as a test shoot, and you now know what NOT to do.

If the Nocha track works, you might have to use it in combination with Rotobrush if a finger pokes at something on the screen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charlie AustinRe: Phone screen replacement
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:03:27 pm

This wasn't done in AE, but I did use a mocha powered plugin so the way it works should be roughly the same... Maybe. :-) Perhaps some of the things I had to work through will help? It was a PITA, but it came out well...

https://fcpxpert.net/2016/03/26/fcp-x-3rd-party-plugins/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Travis SandovalRe: Phone screen replacement
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:30:40 pm

Thanks Charlie! I'll take a look at this.

Return to posts index

Charlie AustinRe: Phone screen replacement
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:35:56 pm

[Travis Sandoval] "Thanks Charlie! I'll take a look at this."

Again, about as far from AE as you can get, but it was tricky for the same reasons you said... tracker was following the fingers etc. The TL;DR of the "workaround"... get the screen replacement to track, save as a comp. then track and remove the screen and hand. Then key/roto just the hand, and then stick 'em all together. Not pretty, but it worked... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]