ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Flickering tracking animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Florian NourdinFlickering tracking animation
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:04:59 am

Hello everyone,

First, sorry for my bad English, I'm French but I'll do my best to explain my problem.

I'm a video editor working on Avid, and making animations and other specials FX on AE. At several moments in my project, there are inserted words in the footages. So I import the footage on AE, I do my tracking and put some words (in capital letters, white).
But when I export it, even if it's not really noticeable, the animation is flickering (especially with wide camera movement).
It's really noticeable when I import my rendered animation on Avid, in my sequence...
I tried several formats (.mov, .mp4 H.264 codec, DNxHD, DVCPRO, PNG sequence...). My footage and project is in 1080p 50i, my original footage is in MXF.
I also tried to import in AE the footage from the Avid sequence (instead of the original footage)...

Do you have any idea of why I can't have a smooth render ? (Motion blur is activated, by the way).

Thank you for your time !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Flickering tracking animation
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:34:48 pm

You mention 1080i at 25 frames per second. Did you separate the fields of the footage properly in the Interpret Footage settings, and did you render from After Effects using the proper field order, which you set in the Render Queue's Render Settings?

For 1080 footage, the proper field order is Upper Field First.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Florian NourdinRe: Flickering tracking animation
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:51:55 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your answer ! I just solved the problem by reading this post :
I wasn't searching at the right place with all this formats, I feel a little bit ashamed...

Now with the "Upper Field First" selected, the render on Avid is smooth just as wanted ! Thank you, for your answer now, and your answer from 4 years ago ! ;-)

I have another question (the last one, I swear ! haha), I have an iPhone footage who's shot in 30fps. I did the same process than my other footages, but add a "Frame Rate Converter" to 25fps to the composition (in another comp, juste for the converter). Am I doing it the right way to export it with the upper field first, just like a 50i footage, or do I have to convert my comp in 50fps ?

Thank you for your reply and your attendance !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved