Is this time remapping?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Shank
Is this time remapping?
on Jul 1, 2016 at 4:10:26 am
Last Edited By Jon Shank on Jul 1, 2016 at 4:13:48 am

In this music video:

The speed seems to constantly accelerate up to certain points and then play normal, I think. My eye is too inexperienced to be honest and basically I'm just wondering what exactly they did to achieve the speedy, almost stop motion effect in this video.

action starts around 47s

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is this time remapping?
on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:27:04 pm

Many of the body movements in the choreography look unnaturally fast. To get a performer to pull them off, you need body moves executed at half-speed, then you would double the speed of the footage. If it sounds like it would take a lot of practice, rehearsal and attention to detail by the people shooting the performance, you would be right.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:29:04 pm

It's very likely that they recorded the entire video, or at least the portions with lip synching, at half speed (playing the music at half speed so the singer could lip synch correctly), and then doubled the framerate in post. Looking at the amount of makeup effects appearing on the singer, I would guess that some of those speed ramps disguise cuts so they could apply prosthetics. As visual effects go, it's not something you can just emulate in post--as Dave points out, you'd have to plan the entire shoot with this in mind.

This is an extremely cool video, and the effect works great for the creepy demonic look they're going for. I'm going to have to remember this one.

Return to posts index

Jon Shank
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:11:54 pm

Yes! Very cool video.

When you say they double the frame rate:

What frame rate did they likely shoot at originally?

And then, Did they then "Interpret Footage" to twice the original in post? Or did they just alter the speed/duration?

Return to posts index

Jon Shank
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:22:41 pm

Also, here is a short bts I found where you can see a few of the shots of him acting. It does look like he is singing in slow motion.

It might help you glean more info:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:34:09 pm

Yup -- they shot the guy performing at half-speed, shooting at a normal frame rate. Then they played it back at double the frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:52:01 pm

When you intend to speed the footage up in post, the shooting framerate doesn't matter as much (unless you want very specific looks for the motion blur, in which case you'd shoot at 12 fps or something). You're speeding it up, so you aren't losing frames. You just need to know what the speed of the music was on-set; 50% speed means you double the speed of the video in post.

However, if you intend to slow the footage down, you need to calculate a shooting framerate that is double the mastering framerate: 48 fps for a 24 fps timeline, or 60 fps for a 30 fps timeline, and speed the music up by 200% from its original (Using the Adobe terminology of 100% being the normal footage speed).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]