ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fade/wipe to a shape layer pattern

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shiro SoraFade/wipe to a shape layer pattern
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 2:08:23 pm

I made a pattern from a single shape using CC Tiler, and I adjusted the scale so the shape layer scales up and fills the whole screen, but I can't figure out how to make a fade or a wipe so that the pattern starts from the left and ends on the right for an example. Tried using Linear wipe but that just looked ugly as it wiped the whole screen, not the shapes.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fade/wipe to a shape layer pattern
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 8:05:06 pm

Linear Wipe will do what you want, but where you apply it matters. Putting Linear Wipe before CC Tiler will have Ae wipe first, then tile -- meaning each tile will appear to wipe together. Putting Linear Wipe after CC Tiler will have Ae tile first, then wipe -- meaning the entire set of tiles will appear to wipe together.

What exactly are you doing, and what result do you want to get?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shiro SoraRe: Fade/wipe to a shape layer pattern
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:21:13 pm

A shape pattern transition into the shape's fill color.
Let's say I want a star pattern to appear from one side at first, and after a few frames on the other side as well, and as a result they both transform into the shape's fill color.

I'll try your advice, thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:49:56 am

I've tried doing as you said, but to no avail. I'm currently thinking it's a gradient wipe, as the linear wipe didn't give me an effect I wanted.

Here's an example, it's the only one I could think of that uses this effect, sorry...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fade/wipe to a shape layer pattern
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:03:52 am

Ah, now I understand.

I'd set up the shape scale and let it all go at the same time, all the way across the frame, which you've already done.

Then I'd use Time Displacement [link] to shift it in time. Create a gradient with the Gradient Ramp effect, and also apply Mosaic it to match the grid of shapes you've made.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:25:28 pm
Last Edited By Shiro Sora on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:30:21 pm

I apply the Time Displacement to the Shape layer, right? And when I do so there are two possible outcomes, first: when I put it before CC Tiler, then the shape pattern doesn't scale at all, second: when I put the Time Displacement beneath CC Tiler, just one shape appears, ignoring the CC Tiler but the scale isn't ignored this time.

I've made the gradient map as you said, applied Mosaic to it and I turned off the layer's visibility but toggled to that layer from Time Displacement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]