ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

PS for Cartoon Animation in AE??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithPS for Cartoon Animation in AE??
by on Jun 27, 2016 at 6:48:03 pm

I found an artist. And I'm thinking of having her do some characters for a short cartoon animation in AE. But after falling in love with her work, I found out s she doesn't have AI, only PS. I guess she's used to just creating psd files. But I'm worried those won't be good enough for, for example, a character's animated eyebrows in AE. Am I asking for trouble? Or is there someway that her psd files will be good enough in AE? I guess she uses the pen tool and vectors in PS.

Thaks in advance

Return to posts index

Ken TeutschRe: PS for Cartoon Animation in AE??
by on Jun 27, 2016 at 7:17:44 pm

What exactly do you want to do with this hypothetical eyebrow?

The main advantage of AI (vector) files over PSD is that you can scale the AI files up as much as you want without image degradation. If you have the artist create the PSD files at a sufficiently high resolution (so you don't have to scale them up in AE), I don't see why they wouldn't work fine.

You also won't be able to convert the PSD files into shape layers with strokes and fills, but I would think that would be more of an issue with a motion graphics project than with a character animation.

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: PS for Cartoon Animation in AE??
by on Jun 27, 2016 at 8:27:52 pm

Actually, I didn't realize that the guy in the tutorial I was following was using PS! OK, thanks for the help. I figure a 900x900 head should be big enough!

Return to posts index

RF JurjevicsRe: PS for Cartoon Animation in AE??
by on Jun 28, 2016 at 4:05:45 am

Yes, you should be good! Like Ken Teutsch said, if you're not doing lots of scaling, you should be good to go.

Also, if your artist isn't familiar with prep for AE, make sure that they don't save everything as CMYK! I have had that happen with artists before. During the good ol' FinalCut Pro days, CMYK PSDs imported with super strange color profiles. Pretty psychedelic-looking!

RF Jurjevics
Big Creature Media, Inc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved