ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to easily make images bounce up and down to the rhythm of a song?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adi head
How to easily make images bounce up and down to the rhythm of a song?
on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:54:48 pm

Hi.
I have a bunch of photos — head shots.
I want to place them on the timeline on after the other, so for example, if I have 20 head shots, I'll essentially have 20 clips on my timeline.
Also on the timeline will be an audio track with a song.

I want to animate each of the head shots, so that they slightly bounce up and down in the frame to the rhythm of the song.
Ultimately I should end up with a sequence of heads jumping up and down to beat as the song plays.
I'm looking for a very simple uniform and consistent up and down bouncing movement to the beat of a song. It should be really simple. My aim is for a somewhat "robotic feel" to the movement. Just simple up and down with a bit of ease-in and ease-out at the "up" position, to better simulate jumping motion. Something like that.

Is there any quick way to do this?

I have close to zero experience using After Effects. I catch on quick and research manuals or tutorials when I run into something I don't understand. So far I've been able to achieve this by setting up markers to the beat and then placing key frames accordingly. It works, but I'm doing this individually and manually for each key frame and for every clip.

I have a feeling there's a way to do this so much faster that I'm just not aware of. Maybe some sort of expression to do this?
Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows 8
HP ENVY 15t
4th generation Intel i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
8GB DDR3L System Memory (1 Dimm)

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
2.6 GHz, Intel Core i5
16GB, 600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 MB

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: How to easily make images bounce up and down to the rhythm of a song?
on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:57:37 pm

You can do this by using the "convert audio to keyframes" command, then using a simple expression to drive your layer's position with that keyframe data.

Google "convert audio to keyframes in after effects" for some tutorials.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]