ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing AE, PS, and AI files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Importing AE, PS, and AI files
on Jun 23, 2016 at 10:55:37 pm

OK, this will be the first of a few questions that you can file under: "everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about AE".

If I import an AI or a PS file into AE and then change the AI or PS file those changes show up in AE. Something like this definitely happens. I've seen it! :)

On the other hand, if I import AE project 1 into AE project 2, close AE, then open AE project 1 and make a change, and then close it and open AE project 2, nothing will have changed in AE project 2.

Have I got that right?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing AE, PS, and AI files
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:08:34 pm

You are correct. To pull it off in AE, you must use the Edit Original command. And don't go adding layers to Illustrator or Photoshop documents -- they won't appear. If you THINK you're going to need additional layers, you should add them before import into AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:08:59 pm

Hi. Yes, you've got it right. Any changes made are only saved in the file they are made in.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 24, 2016 at 12:16:12 pm

[Jerry Smith] "If I import an AI or a PS file into AE and then change the AI or PS file those changes show up in AE. Something like this definitely happens. I've seen it! :)"

Importing footage creates a pointer in the After Effects project to the media. As you note, changes to the media will be reflected in Ae.

[Jerry Smith] "On the other hand, if I import AE project 1 into AE project 2, close AE, then open AE project 1 and make a change, and then close it and open AE project 2, nothing will have changed in AE project 2."

Importing a project is different; Ae does not point back to the original AEP. Rather, it copies the contents as they were at the time of import into the new AEP.

There's a product over at Aescripts that lets you sync projects, more like the way you describe:
http://aescripts.com/project-sync/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]