ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Convert animated text to animated shape layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BowmanConvert animated text to animated shape layers
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:22:34 pm

To my knowledge this isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask around.

I have text that is animated using Animators in After Effects. I'd like to now convert the text layer into shapes, but want it to retain the animated properties of the text. I can right click on the text layer and select "Create Shapes from Text" but it does not keep the animation. Is there a way around this limitation? I've searched and couldn't find a solution.

By the way, I'm trying to do this to speed up the workflow when exporting After Effects to HTML 5 via the (rather nice) Bodymovin extension. It seems it has difficulty with some of the features of text (all caps, small caps, kerning, etc.) when it exports the text to glyphs.

Any advice? Thanks!

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Convert animated text to animated shape layers
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:45:48 pm

Sorry, no way around this. You could probably rebuild a lot of the animation using the shape layer animation properties, but I doubt that is the answer you are looking for.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: Convert animated text to animated shape layers
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:45:32 pm

About the best you can do is use Layer > Auto-trace and set it to work area instead of current frame, but it looks like crap. But if the text is small enough, or maybe not so detailed, it might work for you. It's worth a shot.

On a side note, that extension sounds cool. I might have to check that out.

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved