ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oscar de la calleMac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 5:45:20 pm

Hello,
I need change my old mac pro, it would be a machine to work at home in short projects like, opening tittles, bumpers, infographics and promos, using Ae, cinema 4d and media composer. I thinking about 3 options.

1) mac pro late 2013 4 core 32gb ram, dual gpu D300
2) Imac 5k retina maxed out, top processor and gpu. 32 gb ram
3) refubrished mac pro 5.1 (2010) 2 xeon 2,66 (12 core), ssd pcie hard drive, quadro 4000. With this mac pro model I'm worried about osx support in the future.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:38:47 pm

the latest iMac (with a core i7) will outperform the 4-core 2013 mac pro in After Effects... and will likely be cheaper, unless you will be keeping your existing monitors, keyboard and mouse.... we recently upgraded and that was the path we chose.

an advantage of the older 2010 mac pro is that you can upgrade the CPUs to newer Xeons, and you can upgrade the video card and choose an nvidia model (like what you've spec'd, though the high end gaming cards often out perform the pro cards) which will help with most adobe products.

the 2010 12-core mac pro will have slower ram, but i think it will likely be faster than the 2013 mac pro or the iMac.... but as you mention, there could be concerns with future versions of OS X.

search barefeats.com. rob benchmarks lots of macs, and you'll likely find a comparison of pro software on all these macs.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

oscar de la calleRe: Mac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:47:12 am

Thanks Kevin,
what´s your experience about heat and fan noise during rendering on Imac? I´m in a doubts sea with my decision. In benchamarks results 2010 mac pro beats Imac and 4 Core Late 2013 at least in multicore process but I don´t want a machine that maybe in 1 or 2 years will be obsolet with futures OSX.

Hard decision! ;)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:40:41 pm

the fans will kick in during render, but they are not too loud... they are more quiet that the older mac pro towers.

the biggest negative compared to the old towers is having to add a bunch of external drives for media storage.

the iMac's SSD is extremely fast, and the usb3 ports are faster than the sata2 bus in the towers, but i currently have all my usb3 ports filled (with mostly with storage and a backup) and the 2 thunderbolt ports are used for additional displays (the old ones from my tower). those external drives make more noise than the iMac.

there is an additional SSd slot on the mother board, but getting to it is pretty difficult... but it might be worth the effort. It would be nice to put a smallish SSD in that slot and use it as a cache/media cache drive for AE, but my company would not likely let me crack mine open, at least not until the warrantee expires.

for the money, the i7 iMac is a good deal, better than the lower end 2013 Mac Pro -- unless you use final cut or another application that can justify the expense of those AMD graphics cards.

I think you'd do well with a 2010 mac pro if you go that route... since those xeon cpus are so similar to what's in the 2013 mac pros, i don't think there will be an OS X (or macOS) version that will make them obsolete anytime too soon -- and if apple moves away from intel and starts using proprietary cut like the A series, then all intel mac's lives will be on the line.

personally, if i was a freelancer, i'd lean towards the 2010 mac pro if i was going with a mac. i like having the control of choosing my video card and the flexibility of PCIe expansion slots -- though i think i might fill up all the PCIe slots with 2 video cards, a SSD/M.2 card and a thunderbolt/usb3 card.... but the i7 iMac is still a very good option.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

oscar de la calleRe: Mac Pro 4 core vs Imac 5k vs Mac Pro 2010
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 11:58:14 pm

Thanks a lot Kevin for your opinion and experience, it really help me. Finally I think my personal battle is between Mac Pro 2010 or Imac 5k. Fool or not I think is better idea spend my money in a new Imac instead a 6 years old machine. Anyway I should think about it well this weekend.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]