ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Magnify Effect not showing in main comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason BrownMagnify Effect not showing in main comp
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 2:37:29 pm

I've create a magnify effect by using an adjustment layer with 'magnify' applied then pickwhiped it to my animated magnifying glass. It works sweet, exactly what I was after. However once I bring this composition into my Main Comp the effect doesn't show.

Now I've tried to also separate the magnifying glass and its adjustment layer from the comp it is in and place them directly into the MAIN but that hasn't worked either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: Magnify Effect not showing in main comp
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:01:41 pm

Are the comps different sizes and do you have continuously rasterize checked?

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: Magnify Effect not showing in main comp
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:15:35 pm

Comps are different sizes and continuously rasterize is checked.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2016 at 9:16:38 pm

OK, you have about two options.

1. Turn off continuously rasterize. It's probably not desirable if you're trying to magnify something in the main comp.
2. Keep your magnifying glass precomp, or whatever it is. Move your magnify effect to an adjustment layer in the main comp, and parent it to the rest of your precomp so that it can just follow it. On the magnify effect's center property add an expression:
parent.position;

You can also attempt to use .toComp but I can't ever seem to get that to work. It's unreliable.

Also, I've never used magnify. I didn't know it existed. I find it odd that it duplicates the layer instead of just making it larger. I usually use a transform effect for that. This behavior could be useful though.

Anyway I put an aep in dropbox for you. And the explanation of why this happens is below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln8s36siuw7v77k/Magnify.aep?dl=0

Let me try to explain the reason this happens. Say your main comp is HD (1920x1080) and your precomp is (500x500). If you leave the effect center at it's default in the precomp it'll be 250,250. When it's brought into the main comp with continuously rasterized set, those numbers are put into the main comp but they're not translated to it's space. So you'd think you'd find the center at the center of your precomp just in the main comp, but it's been moved to the main comps space. It's center is still at 250,250, but the center of your main comp is 960,540.

I hope that makes sense. If not I can try again. It is a complicated subject for me to even explain.

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:50:49 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated ! That makes perfect sense. I was just little stumped by it, because i'm so use to precomping and expecting effects to translate over. Handy information for the future though!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:24:07 pm

Ahhh!

I though I had it working.

I can see exactly what you've done but for some reason the magnify effect is below the centre of my magnifying glass. I can move the anchor point of my magnify glass precomp to align it to where I want, but then when I move the position of the magnifying glass comp the effect loses its centre point

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:35:36 pm

It's easier if everything stays in the center. So I'd say keep the circle part of your magnifying glass centered in your precomp. If you have a handle or something sticking off of it, make the comp bigger so that it fits.

However, you can do it by moving the anchor point of the precomp. You just need to unparent the adjustment layer from the magnifying glass precomp first. The expression will throw an error. Ignore it. Move the anchor point of the precomp. Then parent the adjustment layer back to the precomp (making sure that the visible part of that layer completely covers the part you want to magnify). And the expression should work again.

I've saved over that old Dropbox link with a working version you can play around with.

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:49:48 pm

It just will not work, totally stumped. I've replicated what you've done in the project file you upload. I can create a new comp and it all works exactly as you say, but for some reason I can't achieve it inside my main comp. The magnification doesn't stay centred to my magnifying glass.

I don't suppose you know of another effect to achieve a magnification look?

Thanks for your time helping!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2016 at 7:24:20 pm

Hi Jason, that's odd. Maybe you can achieve it by precomping your main comp and doing the magnification on top of it. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. Other effects that would do a similar effect will all have the same issue because they rely on a center point.

One way that should work guaranteed, but won't be 100% accurate, is to take an adjustment layer and add magnify to it. Make the size cover the entire comp. Don't scale it too much, and it'll look correct. Add a shape above it to fit under the magnifying glass layer. Set the adjustment layer to use that shape as a track matte. Then parent the shape to the magnifying glass. That should work perfectly.

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2016 at 7:25:18 pm

Also, no worries! I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I was on vacation, and I didn't have a lot of time to check back! And the only internet I had was through my phone. :/

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2016 at 8:15:17 pm

Thank you Joe! Hope you enjoyed your vacation too :)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2016 at 8:22:03 pm

I did. Let me know if you have any issues with getting that way to work!

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]