ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with same "After Effect" effect on several clips in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Andersson
Working with same "After Effect" effect on several clips in Premiere Pro
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:12:05 am

So, I'm new to the whole Premiere Pro - After Effects workflow, and I don't know the terms for barely anything, so I don't know what to search for to get the appropriate answer.

So, what I'm doing is I'm currently working on a project in Premiere Pro. The project is about 25 minutes long, with one stationary camera with several cuts. In the clip there is a monitor, in which throughout the video, I want to replace the screen with whatever the people in the video are talking about.

What I'm planning on doing is just cutting together a sequence of all the footage to be placed in the screen so it matches up to the rest of the video, then send the whole thing to After Effects to create a screen replacement effect, to then add that same effect to all of the possibly hundreds of clips.

Now I'm just wondering how to achieve this without going through and applying the same effect to one clip after the other in After Effects. What I really would like is to be able to put all the clips that I want to apply the effects to onto one track in After Effects, which in my mind would apply the effect to every single clip on the track, but from what I can tell, that's not how After Effects works.

I have really tried to get into the workflow of After Effects, but I'm really having trouble putting myself in the mindset of how After Effects works, because to me, everything is unnecessarily complicated when working on a long project with many clips.

I just need some tips on how to most efficiently do what I'm trying to do.

Anyone out there who could give me some pointers?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Wilson Costa Campos
Re: Working with same "After Effect" effect on several clips in Premiere Pro
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:30:15 am

not sure i understand what you need, but it could be pre-compose? under the menu layer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:31:23 am

[Simon Andersson] "What I really would like is to be able to put all the clips that I want to apply the effects to onto one track in After Effects, which in my mind would apply the effect to every single clip on the track, but from what I can tell, that's not how After Effects works."

You're right that Ae doesn't have tracks, but you could put all your clips into a single composition ("comp" for short), and use that as a single layer with the Corner Pin or CC Power Pin effect in another composition.

When you use combine multiple layers to use one comp as a source in another comp, it's called "pre-composing" or "precomping."

Here's the documentation on precomping:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/precomposing-nesting-pre-render...

Also, since you're new to Ae, I'd recommend the following link, in which former After Effects product manager Todd Kopriva pulled together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I think the Andrew Devis After Effects Basics series and the Video Copilot Basic Training and are particularly good starts.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 23, 2016 at 4:47:51 pm

No need to go to After Effects for something this simple. As long as your wide shot stays static, you can do it in Premiere.

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/corner-pin-effect-premiere-pro/

Edit your onscreen sequence, put it in a track above your wide shot, and then use the Corner Pin effect on it to tag it to your wide shot. Any b-roll or cutaways get edited over the top of these two layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]