ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Ladder climb

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Johnstone
After Effects Ladder climb
on Jun 23, 2016 at 12:36:07 am

HELP! I cannot get my head around making a character climb a ladder. I'm all setup with puppet pins etc. Has anyone ever done it and wants to share a project file?? It's like the smallest part of an animation i have to do and it's beating me!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects Ladder climb
on Jun 23, 2016 at 2:27:48 pm

Can you show a screen shot of the character, un-animated and in position on this ladder? It will help people figure out the proper technique.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:04:28 pm

As Dave said, a screengrab would be helpful. I did it once, and what I did was have the character climb the ladder from one position until it resets and I moved the ladder under him. Then I just undid the ladder's movement in the main comp so the guy moved instead. I don't know if that helps, but I'm not sure what you're getting stuck on. :/

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

Jessica Johnstone
on Jun 25, 2016 at 2:01:56 am

Hi Guys,
Sorry i was super vague! Here is a screen shot, I think i'm sort of doing it like Dave explained...

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:26:57 pm

I was on vacation, so hopefully you figured it out. If not, I'd say you just need to take your pins for the hands and put them in position and put the feet on the proper position. Then move them until the character is on the next step. Then I'd precomp her if I want her to just climb the ladder off screen. If you want her to keep climbing forever, I'd precomp her and the ladder and move the whole comp down as she goes up so she stays in the middle of the screen.

Sorry if that's vague too. I don't really know what you're getting hung up on. I'd definitely look for reference material. IIRC, when people climb ladders they go up using the opposite hands and feet.

This should be a decent reference. :)

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:27:41 pm

For some reason, it stripped the time from the youtube link. Start at 2:10

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>