ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Different GPUs and using secondary GPU in After effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bull
Different GPUs and using secondary GPU in After effects
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:06:28 pm

Hi team,

I'm lookin gto upgrade my GPUs. I currently have a Quadro 4000.

I am wanting to upgrade to 2 seperate GPUs:
A FirePro W5000
A GTX Titan X

I want to configure the GPUs in this order (i.e. the Titan as the secondary GPU). This is because the secondary GPU is to be used for GPU rendering (Octane, Realflow, TurbulenceFD) - BUT I also want to use it for After Effects/Premiere as the primary card if possible (i.e. if I can tell AE to use the secondary GPU as the primary one).

Is this possible? Am I going to run into trouble using two different types of GPUs? (I know Adobe prefers OpenGL, CUDA nVidia GPUs). But I really want to use the FirePro as my main GPU for most of my work, as C4D isn't GPU reliant, and Maya tests very well with the W5000 (and this config also frees the Titan for sims and renders in the background).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Different GPUs and using secondary GPU in After effects
on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:14:09 pm

This old 'how to' video may be relevant to your questions (have not tried myself) -

good luck!
Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2016 at 11:02:17 am

There is no mechanism in either Ae or Pr for selecting which graphics card to use for processing.

With the exception of the ray-tracing renderer in Ae which is accelerated by CUDA only, Ae (with its new GPU acceleration on a few effects) and Pr can both use OpenCL for acceleration.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 22, 2016 at 3:10:36 pm

Thanks for the info.

So what do you recommend for my needs?

Are C4D & Maya able to switch which GPU they use as primary?

I am a bit stumped as how to move forward with this.

Surely there are people out there that want to use Adobe (Pr & AE) (which favours nVidia) as well as Maya (which far favours AMD FirePro), and then C4D plugins such as Ocatne Render & TurbulenceFD which also both favour nVidia.

I can't see a way of tackling this problem, other than working in one software suffering:

Either my work in Adobe is fast, and my work in Maya and C4D (Octane & TurbulenceFD) is slow (Titan X as primary GPU, and FirePro W5000, or even my existing Quadro 4000 as secondary)

Or my work in Maya & C4D is fast, and Adobe slow (FireProW5000 as primary; Titan X secondary)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2016 at 12:10:46 pm

[Daniel Bull] "Are C4D & Maya able to switch which GPU they use as primary? "

OpenGL apps tend to use the GPU driving the display they're on.

[Daniel Bull] "Surely there are people out there that want to use Adobe (Pr & AE) (which favours nVidia) as well as Maya (which far favours AMD FirePro), and then C4D plugins such as Ocatne Render & TurbulenceFD which also both favour nVidia. I can't see a way of tackling this problem, other than working in one software suffering"

Multiple GPU installs are relatively rare; multiple GPUs of different makes and classes even more so. Maybe it would work if you physically repatched the GPU you wanted to use to the monitors?

Maya is the only app you're mentioning that really benefits from a different GPU. What about maybe Quadro M5000 or M6000? Or a GTX 1080? Would one of these give you the blend of viewport performance and CUDA performance you're looking for?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think multiple GPU installs are particularly rare amongst 3D designers, and actually, not even that rare amongst gaming and computer enthusiasts either. Basically, I think as a proportion of people who would access and use forums such as these, I expect multiple GPU users to be comparable to single GPU users. But anyway, that's by the by really.

I'm not really interested in CUDA performance. None of the softwares I use exclusively rely on CUDA or OpenGL instead of openCL (as i understand it). The problem is that I NEED a secondary GPU. Octane & TurbulenceFD pretty much state that it is a necessity, and certainly users report this being the case. BUT, as I don't have the money to purchase 2 Titan Xs or GTX 1080s, I am exploring this option, which just so happens to be an elegant solution which boosts my Maya performance.

So are you saying that I am going to run into problems if I install 2 different GPUs in my computer? And is it easy to patch GPUs to run monitors during different times? So that I can cheat running Adobe from the secondary GPU?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2016 at 4:34:08 pm

Maybe a GTX 1070 (driving the monitors, so it's the first card Maya/Pr/Ae go for) and a headless GTX 1080 for Octane/TurbulenceFD? Saves a bit of money and gives you two competent GPUs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 27, 2016 at 4:49:57 pm

Hi Walter,

What about multiple GPUs?

As i understand it, one can stack GPUs up for Octane to use so long as they are the same card?

Would I be able to do this with a different secondary GPU from my main GPU? So that my setup could theoretically be:

Quadro 4000 (primary) GTX 980Ti (secondary) GTX 908Ti (tertiary) GTX 908Ti (etc...)

Of course I know i would have to get extra power supply installed to handle these extra GPUs - but is this possible? Is it advisable?

If this is the case, would you recommend getting one Titan X? Or two GTX 980Tis? Or even 4 GTX 750Tis with 4GB?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 27, 2016 at 7:55:52 pm

I'm pretty new to Octane myself and unfortunately I'm not sure I can help with this question.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 28, 2016 at 10:08:25 am

I thought there were potential issues with using different GPUs for the same application, but these benchmarks are showing multiple different GPUs.

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php

Are these bridges GPUs, or just simply two GPUs assigned to Octane Render via the software controls? If this is the case, could I dedicate 2 (or more) GPUs to Octane, whilst keeping my primary GPU for all other applications? Ergo:

Quadro 4000 (primary GPU for most applications and display) Titan X (secondary GPU for Octane) GTX 750Ti (tertiary GPU for Octane)

Would this work? Would I need to somehow bridge the secondary and tertiary GPU? Or would Octane simply use the Titan X, then switch to the GTX 750Ti if and when it ran out of memory with the Titan?

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:33:26 am

Any ideas folks???

Return to posts index

Kevin Snyder
on Jun 23, 2016 at 5:12:50 pm

Can you assign a GPU to a specific program in the Nvidia control panel? I have a laptop that runs both the Intel GPU and a Nvidia GPU. I can set which program uses the two different GPUs. I hope it works because I was considering setting up a similar system.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:50:56 pm

i hope so. I haven't looked in the control panel. It would be ace if one could, but I doubt it will be this easy...

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:25:56 pm

i hope so. I haven't looked in the control panel. But let me know if you find out.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bull
on Jun 27, 2016 at 12:03:02 pm

Nope Didn't work.

Ay other suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]