ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Bar Transition in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard HuttBar Transition in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 5:12:12 pm

In my many forays through YouTube Tutorials on After Effects, at one point I came across a transition that was kind of like Venetian Blinds but it was more like 10 or 15 columns of video rotating onto the screen. Its a much cooler effect than plain Venetian Blinds. WOUld anybody know what this transition effect is called?
Thanks Richard Hutt

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Bar Transition in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:08:14 pm

Can you post a link to one of these videos, please. It would make it easier to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Richard HuttRe: Bar Transition in After Effects
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 11:51:10 am

Hey Johnny, thats the problem, I haven't been able to find one of these videos yet. It was probably a year or so ago that I saw it. Ive had a couple of other people reply, one with a walk through and one with a name of an effect tottery. Thank you so much for replying to this. I do appreciate it. Im gonna keep looking for the answer.
Richard Hutt

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: Bar Transition in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:39:31 pm

Without seeing it I can only guess. I've used a transition before that sounds like what you're talking about. Here's how I do it.

1. Check the 3D layer box on the two video layers you want to transition between
2. Make a 3D null and push it back in z-space to half of the comp width (960 for full HD comps)
3. Parent the first layer to the null and set a key for Y rotation
4. Move down the timeline and rotate the null 90°
5. Parent the second layer to the null, now you should have a transition between them
6. Make a new comp the same size as your main comp
7. Make a gradient and use mosaic, or use different rectangles (or venetian blinds) to make a matte using only grey tones—this tutorial might help:
The intro to the tutorial uses a similar technique.
8. Put that comp into your main comp and turn off it's visibility
9. Set up time displacement on a new adjustment layer and set the Time Displacement Layer to your matte
10. Tweak to taste

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Bar Transition in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 10:01:18 pm

Check out the Card Wipe effect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved