ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

question about after effects and other similar app that run faster.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hanna deanquestion about after effects and other similar app that run faster.
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 11:30:47 am

i think to my self when they update after effects why not add support to multi task to render and not all core gets used properly , i think there is something behind after effects they not telling us about when adding few fx to comp it starts to get heavy and heavier moving the slider in timeline will slow down , they should have fixed this and make it run fast as possible , i seen some videos and used some other apps u can add fx and u can work smoothly without lagg

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: question about after effects and other similar app that run faster.
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 12:15:09 pm

Ae is probably the slowest compositor out there today. As I have mentioned to you before, the Ae development team is in the middle of a re-architecture of After Effects. The program is 20+ years old, and when it was originally written, computers didn't have multiple CPUs or multiple cores, GPU acceleration wasn't a thing, and simple 30-second animated spot took overnight to render in standard definition.

In Ae CC 2015, Adobe separated the renderer from the GUI for the first time. That meant that the UI and the renderer no longer block each other. If you take a heavy comp from Ae CC 2015 back to Ae CC 2014, you'll see a huge difference in responsiveness because of this change -- 2014 will block you from making any interactive changes while it's previewing.

This was a really big undertaking -- and only the first step necessary to take better advantage of modern computer hardware for more performance. I'm not happy with where Ae performance is today, either, but it's not going to happen overnight and Adobe is still working on improving performance. See this blog post from Ae product manager Victoria Nece on some performance enhancements that will be in the next version of Ae:
http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/see-whats-coming-next-after-effects-cc...

I doubt it will get you everything you want, but they are moving in the right direction.

Other apps like Apple Motion, Autodesk Flame, Blackmagic Design Fusion and SGO Mamba offer more realtime performance upfront. Maybe you should try one? Fusion, which I bought for thousands of dollars a few years ago, is even free now.

Of course, every single compositor bogs down eventually when you throw enough complexity at it (to say nothing of 3D applications which can require HOURS to render a single frame).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

hanna deanRe: question about after effects and other similar app that run faster.
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:21:09 pm

have cc 2014 and 15
so is 2014 any good because i always open that and have tons of plugins installed on it what should i do

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: question about after effects and other similar app that run faster.
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 3:05:21 pm

[hanna dean] "have cc 2014 and 15 so is 2014 any good because i always open that and have tons of plugins installed on it what should i do"

2014 (the older architecture) has slower interactive performance, but via multiprocessing, faster final renders (and possibly RAM previews if you are using MP for previews, too).

2015 (the first release with the new architecture) has much faster interactive performance, but it does currently have anything like the old multiprocessing feature.

Personally, I do all my work in 2015, and render it all from 2014.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: question about after effects and other similar app that run faster.
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 9:27:59 pm

If I had a better grasp on coding GUI programs, I'd be all over writing a new one from the ground up. Sometimes it feels like they come out with amazing features that I wouldn't have considered. And sometimes it's like there's this glaringly obvious thing that should exist that doesn't.

For example, I've written a script that properly reverses keyframes (maintaining their relationship to the group that is selected, not just flipping the keys in each property and leaving them where they are). It's got some bugs so I haven't released it yet, but why isn't that already done properly in AE? I'd kill for Cinema's timeline window controls in AE. Want to flip the keys as a group? Scale them negatively. Done. Slide them around. Do whatever you want.

Anyway /rant :)

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]