ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Single Wireframe Mountain

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee PhillipsSingle Wireframe Mountain
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:19:10 am

Pretty new to After Effects so bare with me :]

I'm trying to make a 3d wireframe mountain, similar to what you can do with Trapcode Mir, but a SINGLE mountain, rather than a whole terrain.
I would like the faces in between the wire frame to be fill so that you can't see through the structure.

I want to have the camera rotate around the mountain, so it needs to be 3d. I'm pretty happy with the camera bit.

This is the kind of look I want to achieve, but maybe a bit more simplified:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Single Wireframe Mountain
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:39:17 am

You can use Free Form V2 or FreeForm Pro to achieve this exact look. You need to create a "Texture" layer with a grid for the wireframe and a displacement map layer to extrude the texture to get the mountain shape. For the texture create a square comp with 2 layers in it, solids. On the top one apply Generate/Grid and on the bottom change the color to what you need for your project. Drag this in your main comp and apply FreeForm or FreeForm Pro to it. Create a second square comp, same size as the first and search Google for elevation maps to get a grayscale image of a terrain/mountain that you can use for your mountain (you can also paint one in PS). Bring the grayscale elevation map in the second square comp and use this in the main comp as a displacement map for Free Form/ FreeForm Pro.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Single Wireframe Mountain
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:04:54 am

You can do it with Mir as well, if you already have the plug-in. The trick is to make the fractal scale 0 so that you can use just a displacement layer. You'll need to either find a height map or create the displacement layer.

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: Single Wireframe Mountain
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 6:06:35 am

C4D lite ships with AE. You should be able to make a terrain object in there and import it into AE without much hassle. Atom Array would be the easiest way to get just the lines.

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved