ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Element 3d v2.2.1 subsurface scattering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gage UllmanElement 3d v2.2.1 subsurface scattering
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 1:47:58 am

I tried searching for this, but when I put a couple variations on that search term in no results came back. I almost imagine that that's a problem on my end with the search function, though, I can't imagine nobody's talked about SSS in Element before. Anyway, here goes:

I've been trying to get some SSS in Element. I'm pretty good with Element, and usually it does what I want it to do, but I've never really been able to get SSS to work. At all. I've got shadows turned on, and I'm pretty sure my material settings are correct (it looks... adequate... in the element viewer window when I'm in the scene setup). But even if I change output to JUST show SSS results, it's just a black screen.

I'm thinking that this may be a problem with my graphics card, which is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4096 MB. I'd imagine it was good enough, but I have no idea. I'm on a 2012 Mac tower.

All that said, I can't find any tutorials on how to use SSS in Element, just to make sure there isn't something I'm missing. The only thing I CAN find is the VideoCopilot page that give the rough explanation of SSS, but it's not really very in-depth. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Element 3d v2.2.1 subsurface scattering
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:13:21 am

I have the same card, albeit on a PC, so it should't be a card problem.

Try if you can see the SSS in the Scene setup. Make an object and apply the "SSS Real" texture preset. Change the light (still in Scene Setup) from Single Light to SSS. That's the only light in Scene Setup that shows the effect.

In the AE view, you will need to have a light (parallel or spot -- point light doesn't do SSS), and that light needs to be set to cast shadows. And make sure SSS is turned on in the Element settings.

Try if that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved