ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask blendshape-style animations.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Konstantin Kartashov
Mask blendshape-style animations.
on Jun 10, 2016 at 4:20:18 pm

Hi, guys,
I need to animate simple layer mask (or possible shape layer), which have few standart positions to blend.
In my case it is a mouth of simple cartoon character, as you probably understood it should be lipsyncing. But I wouldn`t like to use just swapping pictures of it, I want to have blendinding between them. The most obvious way is to copy and paste different keys of mask path, but it`s quite unconvenient as my experience says.
Is there a way to animate it in the manner similar to most of 3d-animation software blendshape animation? Making few standart positions of mask and blending between them with the slider values?
Will be very appreciated for any ideas.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Mask blendshape-style animations.
on Jun 10, 2016 at 5:19:37 pm

I think it would make more sense to make it with puppet pins, markers and expressions.

The reason being, you want to be able to morph between any two positions (think letters). Thre are potentially 27 x 27 = 729 letter combinations with the alphabet. So rather than creating a slider that can morph 729 different ways, you could morph between 27 positions that were set by marker names.

You would need to figure out puppet point positions for all 27 mouth positions (or actually less, many letters look the same). So it is multiple puppet tool pins per position, but then the tweens would be calculated by expressions looking at where you are between two markers.

Dan Ebberts has excellent examples of using markers for animation.

Return to posts index

Mike Overbeck
on Jun 10, 2016 at 11:15:23 pm

I'm putting together a tutorial now on creating a highly articulated mouth rig using Joysticks 'n Sliders. This involves making mask path morph shapes and tying them to sliders that bake the animation to the mask paths. Should hopefully be ready to post it soon. Here is an animation test done with it.

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kartashov
on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:54:20 am

Mike, your animation sample looks very similar to what I need. Can`t wait to see your tutorial.

Return to posts index

Mike Overbeck
on Jun 13, 2016 at 5:12:31 pm

I've posted the tutorial on Vimeo and Youtube.

or

It's a pretty long one.
-Mike O

Return to posts index

Joe Clay
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:07:47 pm

Haha, awesome. I was going to suggest Joysticks 'n Sliders. I love it. I'm glad to see more tutorials on it!

Joe Clay
Workbench.tv

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kartashov
on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:13:47 am

You, Kalle, probably don`t know how it works in 3d-software :) we don`t need here to blend shapes between each other. We may blend each key pose to default pose, and when we blend from one pose to another (both non-default) we just decrease the influence (so called weight) of first pose and increase it on second. Thus we need a single slider for one pose.
Solution with puppet isn`t good for my case, because I need quite big amplitude of animation and I`m sure outputs stretched contours and not very smooth edge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]