ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best and fastest render settings for a short 2D flat-style animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart RemmersBest and fastest render settings for a short 2D flat-style animation
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 1:49:52 pm

Hi Y'all,

I've got some animations that I've made that I want to render the fastest way possible. I can surely need some help. All advise is welcome.

What I've got:
- 2D flat-style animations that are only 30s to 1 minute long.
- They all need to be 1920x1080px and 25fps.
- They're not for broadcasting or television. They're for online usage.

What I need:
- Top priority: Render as fast as possible.
Some of them take 1 minute to render, and some of them take 3 minutes to render. I'd like them to render as fast as possible.
- Best quality output!
It does not matter if it's a MP4 or Quicktime or H264 codec. Rendering a draft isn't an option.
- Small filesize.
Some of the animations that last less than 1 minute contain a few photo's throughout the complete animation. These can take up to 1GB for only 1 minute of animation in Quicktime H264 codec. The file sizes doesn't have to be below the 10mb, but 1GB is a no-go.

I've been rendering this on my iMac and I want these projects to be rendered on another (Windows based) PC in the near future. I've got a powerfull tower with 12 cores and 24GB RAM and some SSD drives (which still need to be installed). It has no graphics card/GPU. I've read something about OpenGL rendering, but I can't find anything about this being really fast. I'm willing to invest in an OK graphics card if this will speed up my renders.

I'm looking for a great preset or rendersettings which will forfill my needs. I'm really looking for a way to render stuff as fast as possible! Again, all advise is welcome! Thank you guys in advance!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Best and fastest render settings for a short 2D flat-style animation
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:55:31 am

You can not have fast, best quality and small file unless you spend money on a render farm. If you want small file and good quality you will have to settle for slower render times. You need a codec that allows for 2 pass encoding to get small files and good quality. 1-3 minutes to render is not a long time at all - why would you need faster render times than that anyway?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved