ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create a mask from a moving clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude RozsaHow to create a mask from a moving clip
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:37:30 am

Hi, I've checked many tutorial getting a proper answer to my question.
I have a clip of 7 dancers before a monument. I'd like to eliminate the background and just keep the dancers. Of course I could roto brush the clip but considering the very rapid movements of my characters, the nearly 13 seconds clip would take me ages as approximately every 5 or 6 images I have to readjust the strokes.
Is there a way to create the mask directly from the picture itself without using roto brush?
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to create a mask from a moving clip
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:06:56 am

If you can get a clean plate (the background without the dancers) then you can try to pull a difference key. You may have one in your footage or you may have to create one in PS by cloning from various frames.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keying-effects.html

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: How to create a mask from a moving clip
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:19:43 am
Last Edited By Claude Rozsa on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:24:38 am

That's exactly my problem, the dancers move around so the background is randomly visible or not! And I don't have a picture of the monument , kind of temple with columns...Unles perhaps I create the whole temple in photoshop by filling the part I don't see???
Here's an image from the clip. i want to remove the stairs and the column behind:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to create a mask from a moving clip
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 10:12:21 am

You need to scroll through the clip and find several frames that have different parts of the background revealed as the dancers move. Export those frames in PS, stack them and reveal from one to another the clean parts (no dancers). Whatever can not be re-built from existing footage you will have to paint using the clone tool. All you need is a pate that tells the computer to key out similar pixels, so the part that is always covered will not matter that much.
That being said, looking at your frame I think you may have a hard one on your hands. That's because the color luma on the dancers are pretty close to the background. Give it a shot though. If this does not work look into Roto brush tutorials.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: How to create a mask from a moving clip
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 10:15:32 am

Thanks Ted, I'll try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]