ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Change Over Time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack RudyColor Change Over Time?
by on Jun 4, 2016 at 5:03:48 pm

I am working on making some videos for YouTube, in which i want some of my layers to rotate through preferably colors of my choice throughout the video. I understand how to rotate colors with key-frames but that is too tedious to place key-frames throughout the entire video of the colors i want for each layer, so I was wondering if anyone could give me an expression or an effect that would allow me to do this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color Change Over Time?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 6:37:34 pm

You will lose a LOT of control over the precise colors, but yes. Don't ask me how. I've never had any desire to do it. So I never learned how.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Color Change Over Time?
by on Jun 6, 2016 at 6:04:48 pm

What are you coloring? How are they set up? What exactly do you want them to do?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: Color Change Over Time?
by on Jun 7, 2016 at 9:09:57 pm

You can try an expression like this:
hue = 0;
sat = 1;
light = .5;
hsla = [hue,sat,light,1];
hsla = hsla + [((time/thisComp.frameDuration)%360)/360,0,0];

But that's not the best way because it's not easy to control or predict, but it'll cycle through the hues. It'd be easier to use an effect that has a cycling type of property and put a time expression on that property like:

You could use the hue/sat effect to get something similar to the above expression. But the best way, if you're looking to get specific hues is to use the old school Colorama effect. You can change the output cycle to use just the colors you're looking for, and then you can put a time expression, like the one above, on the "Phase Shift" property. I hope that's what you're after!

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Color Change Over Time?
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:10:56 pm

I agree with Joe. I think a simple (time*x) expression on whatever color parameter you are using will do the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved