ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Split Screen on Steroids" Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Craddock"Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 4:55:24 pm

I am trying to make an effect of what I would call "Split Screen on steroids".
[Not sure what is the industry name for this one].

This would look something like this (see at 5:20, 0:23, 0:51):

I work both in After Effects and Premiere.
Any info on the least painful workflow (or a tutorial video) for this effect would be much appreciated...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:41:04 pm

It's a simple matter of multiple layers, scaling, perhaps masking, and animating the layers' positions.
And it's all hand work, because there's no plugin in the world that can anticipate how you want to do something like this.

I said it was simple. Not easy. After all, putting a man on the moon was just a three-step process:

1) Get a rocket
2) Get some guys to fly it
3) Gas it up and go

There were some intermediate sub-steps left out, but you probably get the idea.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 7:53:49 pm

Do you want to do just the three layers with the same image or all the effects you see there?

The basic effect is pretty simple, you have some color graded footage and (in some of the example cases) a track matte that shapes it, duplicated three times, turned into 3D layers, moved around and then some XY-plane camera motion added.

The additional effects that I see are:

The second effect looks like a scan of a photographic plate, duplicated 3 times and composed on top of all the other footage in screen transfer mode (also 3D layers like the footage and moved in 3D space).

Then there are some light leaks, probably stock footage thereof on top of that.

And then there is some static and animated text. Plus a map drawing of some kind in some cases.

Return to posts index

Paul CraddockRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on May 2, 2016 at 2:21:29 pm

Thanks for sorting it out, guys...
Yes, I would like the other effects besides the animated split screen.

They use slight variations of this effect over and over in the video.
If done from "ground zero" for all the cuts, it would take quite a lot of time.

I wonder if they had some sort of a plugin/component for at least some base work for this...

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on May 2, 2016 at 6:28:49 pm

There is no plug-in for this, but there is probably an After Effects template you could purchase that has some similar effects.

It looks best when done manually though. It might take a little time, but once you break down the different effects and start layering them on, it's not too bad.

Return to posts index

Joe ClayRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on Jun 3, 2016 at 6:48:56 am

There's no real plugin for that. It's just precomped footage, often with a scan of a Polaroid transfer on top. It's probably a silhouette/stencil alpha layer on top in the precomp. The you bring it into you main comp. It looks like most of them were just linked to a null since they seem to move as a group, and then you layer texture on it. It looks nice, and it takes some work, but it's not an insane undertaking and certainly not something you'd need a plugin to accomplish. You can easily create complex looking effects with duplicated precomps.

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: "Split Screen on Steroids" Effect
by on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:49:03 pm

This reminds me of when I saw redacted movie :) for the first time. The end credits were so different to me from anything else I'd seen (or at least seemed like it).

When I got the chance to get them inside After Effects, I used them as a base layer and replaced each element over the top, duplicating the movement, timing etc... Sure I ended up with a copy and hardly something I could claim as my own, but it was a great way for me to learn several new techniques and as Dave LaRonde suggests, it's all about hard work.

Could you do similar? - Free FX for amateur films - FX blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved