ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wondering how to get glossy transparent letters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adi Constantin
Wondering how to get glossy transparent letters
on Apr 11, 2016 at 2:03:07 am

Hey guys, I was wondering how to create this glass letters effect with video footage in the background?
https://vimeo.com/88084412

Also, do you think only AE was used or should I also use Cinema4D? Any hints, tips or online tutorials would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wondering how to get glossy transparent letters
on Apr 11, 2016 at 8:50:47 pm

If you're not talking about the obvious 3D text at the head & tail, it can certainly be done in AE in 2D. It will take multiple layers, text used as track mattes and nested comps for colorized images. Plus the Bevel Alpha effect.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adi Constantin
on Apr 28, 2016 at 7:44:00 pm

Thank you so much Dave. You were on point with the text used as track mattes, the nested comps, and the bevel alpha effect.

I'm at the point where I'm adding the black and white footage that gets revealed as each letter moves. Do you know if there is a faster way to do this than with masks. Using the pen tool to set up all the points of the mask for each frame feels like it will take forever :/ Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:00:15 pm

You shouldn't have to use any masks at all. You should be able to use a duplicated layer as a track matte.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adi Constantin
on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:22:24 pm

When you say duplicate layer, do I duplicate everything including the letter and the footage used as an alpha track matte in it or just the video layer underneath?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]