ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D moving objects tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis Malygin3D moving objects tracking
by on Mar 6, 2016 at 6:59:58 pm

Hey guys!
I need to attach a halo (a nimbus) to the girl's head in my video. The camera is NOT moving (it's stable), but the girl moves, shakes, twists and spins her head. I just need to put the halo over her moving head. I've found a number of tutorials, but all of them teach how to track the motion camera, but not a 3D moving of the object while the camera is stable like in my case. Could you please be so kind to suggest how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: 3D moving objects tracking
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 9:25:53 pm

You want to do what's called motion tracking.

Return to posts index

Denis MalyginRe: 3D moving objects tracking
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 9:32:33 pm

Oh, really? Which one of those six may help me to resolve my problem? The camera is stable (it's not moving) and I need to attach to the girl's head 3D halo (created in C4D for example), not a 2D picture...

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: 3D moving objects tracking
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 10:10:54 pm

Can you upload a screenshot of your shot and the halo you want to composite onto it? From your description, it sounds like you'd want to use Mocha to track the head. I don't know a tutorial off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty if you google it.

Also, you mention the subject is moving and twisting around. How much movement is there? With too much movement/motion blur, you may have a hard time getting a good track anyway as you typically need some high-contrast points for After Effects to track. If the shot isn't too long, you may be better off keyframing the halo manually rather than spending several frustrating hours fiddling with the tracking settings trying to get it to work.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 10:12:48 pm

Daniel,
thanks for the detailed answer. Here's a YouTube link to the part of my video. Please don't pay attention to the quality and color gamma - it's obviously changed/compressed by YouTube. The original one was shot in resolution as much as 3840x2160 in ProRes HQ422 (fps 29.97 but I guess it doesn't matter). Also I have uploaded my album cover we're trying to "re-construct" in our video. burgoci-bdts.jpg There are two nimbuses (halos) on the picture - first of all I need to create the one that is hovering ABOVE girl's head (not BEHIND head)... Well, that's it I guess. Hope you'll be able to suggest me something. P.S.: Yeah, I tried to track her head's moving in Mocha AE, but instead of getting the result in 3D coordinates, I received just a Corner Pin effect.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 12, 2016 at 11:11:03 am

Sorry, here's the link:

Return to posts index

London JonesRe: 3D moving objects tracking
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 1:12:53 am

Perhaps you could Render a PNG sequence of the halo ring (doing whatever). From there, you can use the 1-point tracking feature. The tricky part would be selecting the right point to track. Then apply the tracking data towards a null and then use the sequence to follow the null.

Or you can ignore that chance and hand track the halo ring unto her head. That's gonna be lots of work but that is your last resort.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]