ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Set layer to render, but not to preview?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneSet layer to render, but not to preview?
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 9:23:35 pm

Is there a way to set a layer so that it will render when I do my final render, but will remain hidden while I am working? Like the opposite of a guide layer. Right now I am just turning the eyeballs off on my two effects heavy layers while I work, and then hopefully remembering to turn them back on before I render. (Do you get the impression maybe I have forgotten to reactivate them a time or two...)

I have dabbled a bit with proxies, but I don't really think that is what I'm looking for?
In this case, I have a pre-comp that I am animating mostly text elements in on top of the rest of my action. Then I have a couple duplicate layers under the main pre-comp which have a variety of effects to give it a fancy glow and trailing echos, they are slow to render. So I want to quickly and interactively work just my text and main content, but be sure to render the fancy dance when it is all good to go...

Any tips would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Set layer to render, but not to preview?
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 3:42:56 pm

Sorry, I have no tips because you're currently doing it the right way. You probably learned the hard way about guide layers. Now it's time to internalize something else -- make a check for eyeball icons.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved