ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Building Lights that act like an Audio Spectrum

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Campbell
Building Lights that act like an Audio Spectrum
on Feb 29, 2016 at 3:01:59 am

Hi everyone,

For this music video I am making, I'm trying to get the lights on the front of a building to turn on and off in a similar manner to how an audio spectrum would rise and fall. The way I figured this would work best is to create a second image of the building but darkened so all the lights are off and just using masks to accomplish this, but my fear is I doubt I'd be able to mimic the audio's ups-and-downs as well as the audio spectrum tool would.

Is there something I'm missing? Or will I just have to do it the way I described?

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Building Lights that act like an Audio Spectrum
on Feb 29, 2016 at 8:37:30 pm

It would be better if you are able to get 2 shots of the building, one with lights on and one with lights off. It would look a lot more realistic that way. But hey, if you can't, you can't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Campbell
on Mar 1, 2016 at 3:19:12 am

If I could, I would've. Sadly it's just a stock image that only had the lights on.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:03:14 am

In my view you should be able to use the audio spectrum effect to generate the bars. You just need some way to control the threshold so that it lights up full windows, not partial windows. Mosaic and threshold would work. Align both the audio spectrum bands and the mosaic effect to the window frequency.

Return to posts index

Chris Campbell
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:21:05 am

That's a great idea! Let me give it a try!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]