ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create a trail of stars under a flying carpet...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duca Simone LuchiniHow to create a trail of stars under a flying carpet...?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:37:06 am

Hallo every body,
I'm gonna be crazy with this problem.
I want to create a trail of stars under a flying carpet that is brewing: I rendered in 3d the carpet, but I could also import directly 3d obj carpet, via Cineware or Element3D, but anyway, how can I create this trail of stars (or stardust...) placing it under the MOVING carpet? Carper is taking off...
I tried with particular but I can't, link rightly the particle solid with the carpet... of course I create in C4D a reference tracker to match the carpet moving path, but again, I can't link it with the particle. Or maybe I should use Trapcode FORM...?
I tried Cineware as well, but you can apply any trapcode to the 3d object...
Or maybe with 3D element..
Any idea?
In short, what recommended technique to achieve this effect?

Many thanks for a reply!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: How to create a trail of stars under a flying carpet...?
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:44:26 am

My first thought would be to use Particular, tracking the corners of the carpet by hand for a solid mask, then use that masked solid as a layer emitter.

Or use a 3D null to control the emitter position and manually track it to the motion of the carpet.

Return to posts index

Duca Simone LuchiniRe: How to create a trail of stars under a flying carpet...?
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 10:28:23 am

Hi Kalle,
many thanks for you reply.
I don't need to tracker anything, cause I have perfect tracks of the corner of carpet imported from Cinema 4D.
What I didn't understand about what you say is how to create and use a sold mask... please, may you be more specific?

THX!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:27:16 am

Maybe do you mean to link trackers to the Mask vertex (of a Solid Layer) and then set the Solid layer as emitter?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:40:56 am

Particular has a layer emitter option, where layer opacity/transparency determines where the particles are emitted from, so my thought was to generate a masked solid (matching the carpet's position) for a layer emitter so that the particles would original within that area. Since you can't attach mask points to tracking points, you'd still have to animate (track) the mask corners by hand. I believe you would have to also additionally animate something like particle size to give it the appearance of moving in the z axis. You can't really move the Particular layer if you do it this way, but make the Particular emitter a flat plane that fills the view.

The technique is described in detail here:

BUT:

If you already have 3D tracked nulls, I would think you could average the nulls' positions for the Particular emitter 3D position and then calculate the angle (if needed) from two (or four) corners' positions.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:43:38 am

Another option that came to mind is to get it roughly right with Particular, eyeballing the Particular emitter into place, and then using animated mesh warp to make it follow the rug more precisely.

I'm certain that a magic carpet would bend and warp space-time :)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 1:08:42 pm

BUT:

If you already have 3D tracked nulls, I would think you could average the nulls' positions for the Particular emitter 3D position and then calculate the angle (if needed) from two (or four) corners' positions.

Yes, this is my case.
I copied the Position of my Null (it is the centre of the carpet track imported from Cinema 4D) to the Position of the solid Layer on which I applied Particular. But when the carpet rotates (It is taking off, rotating on itself), the emitter can't to maintain the correct shape... I doesn't rotate as it should, shortly as e 3d particle.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 6:29:04 pm

Can you not manually keyframe the rotation values?

If the emitter is too hard to see you could conceivably make a 3D solid of the same dimensions and link the rotation values of your emitter to it so that you see what you are doing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]