ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Masking for certain rotobrush area

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakub FrišoMasking for certain rotobrush area
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 11:59:21 am

Hello guys, can you please help me by telling me how can I create (simulate) glow of the candle on the the hand and thumbs which put out the fire of candle? I did rotobrush of hand but I dont know how do I have to combine different layer blends to achieve the look ...
Please how would you approach this problem?

Link to problematic footage:

Sending pictures of my composition and different layers i hope that will help you. If you will need any more informatiom just tell me ...
Thank you so much

Raw Comp:
Comp with added layers:
Different layers:

Hand that needs to be rotobrushed (i didnt add roto yet because i want to know how will I make hand glow with mask):

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masking for certain rotobrush area
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 10:34:09 pm

I have to ask myself -- why was this not shot with the hand extinguishing the flame in the first place? It could have been done easily. It may have taken a few takes, but you would have had the job done. All because someone didn't want to have to say "ouch" from the heat, which could have been easily solved with a moistened finger and thumb.

Now you have to re-create the thumb to put it in front of the candle flame and re-create the snuffed-out candle and wick, with a little stream of smoke rising from the top. Not to mention the almost-irrelevant influence of a candle flame on a scene shot in daylight... which was the original problem you mentioned.

Which sounds easier -- hour after hour after hour of painstaking After Effects work, or a re-shoot to do it the right way?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved