ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to pick whip to scale but add an amount to it.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valerie LopezHow to pick whip to scale but add an amount to it.
by on Oct 12, 2015 at 2:20:20 am

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to expressions so I could use the help. I have two circles. The first one grows and shrinks during a certain time. I want the second one to be behind this first circle and scale the same way but make it a certain amount bigger. Is it possible for me to pick whip the second circle and then in the expression put +100 or something so the circle remains a circle and mimics the same scaling movement but is just a bit bigger than the first circle.

Return to posts index

Tom HolmesRe: How to pick whip to scale but add an amount to it.
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 9:21:06 am

Hey Valerie.

You could indeed add '+100' to the scale but then the second circle will always be 100 larger than the first, whether the first circle is set to 0 or 10000. If this is what you're after then i would use the following on the second circle's scale:
(italics are your layers names)

to make it more controllable, id add a sider controller to your second circle and instead of typing "+100" in the expression, pickwhip to the controller. That way you don't have to keep going in to change your value.

If however you want the size increase to be relative, id increase the second by a percentage, not a constant value.

what i would do is add a slider controller to the second circle and then in the second circle's scale expression add the following:
(italics are your layers/slider names)

s will take the scale of the first circle, divide it by 100 and then multiply it by the slider controller value. This then means the slider can be used to input a percentage of the first circle's scale. The second part will take the two scale dimensions and add the value of the slider. Now if you set the slider to 50, the second circle will always be 50% larger than the first.

This will means the second circle will scale RELATIVE to the first.

hope this helps!

Tom :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved