ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Techniques for a Dolly Move on a Twinning Shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy ZouTechniques for a Dolly Move on a Twinning Shot?
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:33:05 pm

Hello all! Considering a shoot where an actor pours a twin of himself a drink from across the bar as the camera is dollying away.

So they're both relatively profile, camera is on the bar.

Pouring himself the drink and grabbing it is easy enough; we just have to not move the cup and make sure there's some decent continuity between the time he sets it down and the time when he comes back in with different clothes.

The difficult part is the dolly move...I'd need motion control to do it properly. But I'm wondering if there's any technique that could help me with doing it manually.

Obviously if I'm off by a single frame, it's moot...but what if I shot at a higher framerate and then time-remapped any differences? Would that look completely bizarre?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Techniques for a Dolly Move on a Twinning Shot?
by on Oct 9, 2015 at 4:31:10 pm

I don't think time remapping will help. You'd be able to match up actors better, but you'd still have the dolly motion to contend with.

You hit it on the head, you need a motion control rig. The reason: you probably wont get this shot in one take for both of the two passes necessary to get the shot. With motion control, you don't have to worry about re-positioning the glass PRECISELY between takes. You just do the first pass, and if it's good, do the second pass and hope it's good, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Techniques for a Dolly Move on a Twinning Shot?
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 8:21:33 pm

My two cents. Stabilize the second shot, track the first, apply tracking data to a null and attach the second shot to that null. Result: unified motion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved