ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ideal pixel dimensions for graphics, compression blocking? (sharper graphics)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Bragg
Ideal pixel dimensions for graphics, compression blocking? (sharper graphics)
on Sep 25, 2015 at 3:05:07 pm

Awhile back, SmashingMag ran an illuminating tip sheet on JPG compression and how to properly size graphics for maximum sharpness and less artifact noise. Ever since, I've set up my snap-to grids to 8px and it works great. But I can't find anything like this regarding h.264 or mpeg2 compression.

Does video compression operate with this 'blocking' technique like JPG? I've tried various things, from using an 8x8 grid, 16x16 and up, but can't really tell any difference. Motion factors in, sure -- I'm hoping there's a way to make our onscreen graphics look better and sharper on final output. As is, we're running 1080p-to-480p down-conversion, final shows are at 900kbps. I've seen 500kbps shows that look better!

Ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Ideal pixel dimensions for graphics, compression blocking? (sharper graphics)
on Sep 25, 2015 at 5:47:32 pm

There's just so much you can do. Compression is compression.

Any kind of codec compresses by throwing away image information. Some codecs cheat on colors, some on groups of frames across time, some on blocks of pixels, some on all of these.

The less compressed it is, the better it looks.

But when you're encoding, what are you using to do it? It makes a difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Ideal pixel dimensions for graphics, compression blocking? (sharper graphics)
on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:15:39 pm

best rule of thumb is denoise before compression. It helps mpeg4 alot! so does desaturation of bright primary colors! keeps the bleeding down too as a bonus!

there's some codecs like flv that can encode 12 fps and then playback 24fps. They interpolate in realtime. It's like 10x smaller.

Also, resolution vs bitrate, google that because there really is a sweetspot called bits/pixel.\

Research what settings/codecs the professional sites use. There's embedded divx, VP9, and even soon sometime down the road h.265 will replace h.264.

h.264 is the most popular, profiled as mkv is a stripped down version that doesn't need all the metadata, saves a little space.

You can have multiple streams of flash that auto detect the bandwidth. Also, Microsoft Silverlight works similar to netflix, if you want to go the microsoft route. There's tons of options, depending on your clients' needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]