ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hologram Effect with a twist

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loid RaymondHologram Effect with a twist
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:19:55 am

Hello, this is my first post on the COW :)

I am wanting to produce a hologram effect for a character in a short video sequence for a postproduction unit at uni. I'm relatively new to after effects and have come here for some direction, if nothing more a link to a few tuts would be great.

Instead of your classic blue/green hologram I want to achieve an 'invisibility cloak' look. Here is some reference for what i'm on about:

I guess it's more of a skin matte thing. I only want to apply it to his skin. I'm sure I can figure out how to mask out his suit etc... The character's vibe is slippery and deceitful, appearing in a commercial in dystopian future.

Thanks very much for any help,
Excuse the lack of general knowledge - gotta start somewhere, right?

Mongaloid.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Hologram Effect with a twist
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:06:36 pm

Do you have a screenshot of the shot you are dealing with? Something tells me this wasn't planned out much in advance, making it much more difficult than it already most likely will be. Hopefully not. Andrew Kramer has a skin displacement tutorial that may give you an idea of where to begin.

Whoops, link didn't work the first time:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/skin_displacement/

Return to posts index

Loid RaymondRe: Hologram Effect with a twist
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 12:19:23 pm

Thanks for that, i'll check it out. We havent started filming but it will be a similar shot to this:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/nameisprince2/media/WeFew_THUMB-142507327...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Hologram Effect with a twist
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 10:59:04 pm

Um, that's makeup.....

....and a whole lot easier to do than what you're proposing to do in AE. Unless you think spending hours and hours in post on one shot is cheaper than getting a makeup artist. Your call.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Loid RaymondRe: Hologram Effect with a twist
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:21:18 am

Very good point. I think I will stick to your classic blue/green hologram instead of trying to make up some new style of effect. There are plenty of tuts for getting something like that working. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]