ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Path from a layer parented to a Null?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bush
Motion Path from a layer parented to a Null?
on Aug 12, 2015 at 7:01:51 pm

Hi all.

I'm trying to make a "tornado" that forms out of a few "stroke" type lines and some particles as well.

The best way I know to make a 3D motion path spiral that is fully custom and controllable is to use a light parented to a null, then animate the null object so the light 'orbits' around it.

But I need the motion path that the light follows, and I need to use it on several different layers. When I use a light parented to a null, the null has a motion path but the light doesn't. How can I 'extract' a motion path from the light itself after it is parented?

(I'm aware of expressions I can use to make spirals but the 'tornado' I'm making is stylized and custom, so the 'perfectness' of the resulting spiral isn't what I'm looking for -- I need to follow the style frames I was given.)

I feel like this should be so simple but I'm having a hard time with it. Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Motion Path from a layer parented to a Null?
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:19:06 am

I don't know of a way to create a motion path from that setup, but you can always pick whip and link various things to the position value of the light, if that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]