ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D After Effects Lighting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Hough
Element 3D After Effects Lighting
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:58:11 pm

I am fairly new to After Effects and am using it to do some basic 3D animation with the Element 3D plugin. I have loaded my 3D object into After Effects but it doesn't seem to be effected by lights. Only the ambient light setting seems to work. When I make the solid layer with the Element 3D object into a 3D layer the lights appear but this means my camera layer doesn't function properly as when I orbit around the 3D object it distorts and disappears when viewed from the side. I have watched several tutorials for Element 3D and none of them mention needing to make the layer a 3D layer to have lights affect the object so I am wondering if its maybe a setting in after effects that I havent used?

Any help would be fantastic.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Element 3D After Effects Lighting
on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:18:02 am

Element is a 3D effect on a 2D layer, you don't make the layer itself a 3D layer.

One setting that affects the AE lights in Element is the "Lighting influence" in the Element environment settings. The default setting is 25%, if you want the lighting to affect the scene more (in relation to the Element environment), up this value.

Return to posts index

Marina Plotzki
on Sep 23, 2016 at 10:53:08 pm

Hello, i have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 24, 2016 at 7:16:48 am

If only ambient lights work after you do the above, your video card is probably not a supported for Element. See this list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kqQP_Okzn_PEJsn0_CstMJUKyXw3VUJPz9-zX85...

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Marina Plotzki
on Sep 26, 2016 at 2:57:40 pm

Hello,
thank you very much! Indeed, my Mac came with an Intel Graphic Card. But isn´t it strange then, that when I turn it into a 3D Layer, the lights DO work..?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 27, 2016 at 3:26:46 pm

[Marina Plotzki] "isn´t it strange then, that when I turn it into a 3D Layer, the lights DO work..?"

No. In that case, Element isn't rendering the lights, it's just AE doing what it normally does to an AE 3d layer. The Element effect itself isn't doing anything with the lights.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]