ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premiere Ultra Key vs. After Effects Keylight - which is better?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TL Westgate
Premiere Ultra Key vs. After Effects Keylight - which is better?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:39:23 pm

I've been using Keylight in AE for years. Now at work they want to change the work flow to Ultra Key in Premiere. I've always looked down my nose at Ultra Key. So I'm seeking feedback from real world users. Which is better? Any technical reasons?

-- TL

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Premiere Ultra Key vs. After Effects Keylight - which is better?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:27:12 pm

Ultra Key is optimized for dealing with footage with heavy compression, and it's designed to be simple to use (at the loss of some fine control).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

TL Westgate
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:29:17 pm

That's sort of a non-answer. But it sounds like you're implying Keylight is better?

-- TL

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:16:53 pm

I'll throw out another option - Hawaiki Keyer. Check it out. It looks like a very powerful keyer. In a head-to-head with Keylight, I think it wins. It works with FCPX, Motion 5, Premiere Pro and AfterFX.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 4, 2015 at 10:53:29 pm

AE in general doesn't cotton well to highly-compressed footage. If you have to deal with it, go with Ultra Key to save yourself a transcoding step.

But if you don't have highly-compressed footage, or don't mind transcoding.....

Keylight wins by virture of being within AE. You can use the Refine Edge tool, and there are the Refine hard or Soft edges effects. You can tweak the background for the key easier. You can composite other things into the shot, and not just pull a key. You can fake shadows. You can add light wrap (also available with some third-party keyers in PP).

If you like the look of Weatherman-Over-The-Radar-Map, or you just have to crank out the keys like a sausage factory, Ultra Key is great. If your visual needs are more sophisticated, go with AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:50:34 pm

I agree with Dave. But I have to say, coming from FCP 7. Ultra Key is amazing for an editing program keyer. When I'm in a hurry I use it and I have been very happy with the results. It handles close up and medium shot interviews well. I think Keylight is better but if you are trying to save time I say give the work flow to Ultra Key in Premiere a chance and see what you think.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Cipin
on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:29:14 pm

From my experience, Ultra Key is a very good built-in keyer - if you're pulling a very undemanding key. For me, the workflow required to use Keypoint in After Effects was a non-starter in my search for an additional keyer.

After fairly extensive testing of Primatte Keyer 5.1, Chroma Key Pro, Phyx and Hawaiki Keyer 2.0 I've decided that the latter (and oddly enough least expensive) works best for the keying problem I'm currently dealing with. Wispy blond hair. Not sayin' my testing was "scientific" but I have found what I think is good solution.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]