ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon LaneWobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 8:51:03 pm

I'm editing a conceptual live music performance for Channel 4 and have a 15 second steadicam shot that isn't very steady!

The project opens with 6 shots that are roughly 15 seconds each, 5 of them are good but the first location of the day (a long tunnel in a cave) is not great.

The movi rig was not properly calibrated at this point but we had to be in and out within 3 hours so unfortunately this shot suffered.

The operators foot steps are noticeable and due to the length of shot gives a feeling of being on a boat rocking slowly up and down.

I'm editing in Premiere Pro CC 2015 and have After Effects which I imagine is the best bet. I'm an editor who occasionally uses AE for titling so am not an expert when it comes to using AE, however i'm ready to put the time in to learn how to fix this.

So far i've tried Warp Stabiliser. This helps a little but not enough, I think the shot is too long and because it's constantly tracking forwards in a tunnel the Z axis is always changing making it a hard task for Warp Stabiliser.

It's a 4k image on a HD timeline so I have room to allow cropping.

Any help would be amazing.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Wobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:22:02 pm

I don't think anything will beat the Warp Stabilizer. Sorry for the bad news. You don't have to go to After Effects to use the Warp Stabilizer, it is also available in Premiere Pro.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Wobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:28:19 am

Not much to do beyond what warp stabilizer can do. The only additional thing you could try that I can think of is cropping to the areas which are further from the camera, as objects closer up are affected more. But that may change the look of the shot considerably, so I don't know if it is workable for you.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Wobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?
by on Aug 17, 2015 at 6:51:45 pm

Try motion stabilization with the point tracker. It is more interactive and provides greater user control, but takes longer than Warp Stabilizer. I get good results by combining stabilization with position keying to maximize the useable image area. Please refer to my last post in this thread:
Removing judder from panning shots (image stabilization issues)

Here are examples of clips stabilized using this technique: Shuttle Launch Tracking Shots

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Wobbly Movi/Steadicam shot. Post fix ideas?
by on Aug 21, 2015 at 7:52:26 pm

I learned there is another very effective stabilization program worth checking out: Mercalli V4. It has a free trial.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved