ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I create this kind of effect? (3D hexagone, glassy screen, neon borders)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margaux Millet
How can I create this kind of effect? (3D hexagone, glassy screen, neon borders)
on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:13:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I love a template found on videohive.com, but I don't want to purchase it, because even if I love it, I'd like to make some modifications. Here is the link:

http://videohive.net/item/modern-photo-gallery/3720344

I love the neon-like border, the movement of the camera, the kind of "glassy" background where the photo is reflected, however, I'd like some effects to change: for example, I would like the flying stuff (where are written the titles) to WIDEN both up and down at the same time, to make the glassy background appear. Do you think it's possible? I mean, how can I create this kind of hexagon in 3 dimensions ? How can I make the glassy background? The neon-like border? Make it rotate as smoothly as possible?

My main problem is, I don't know how to create a kind of transparent and glassy screen and the hexagone.

It seems to be complicated to make, I guess.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my english

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How can I create this kind of effect? (3D hexagone, glassy screen, neon borders)
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:24:35 pm

Did you BUY the template, or are you trying to re-create it from scratch?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Margaux Millet
Re: How can I create this kind of effect? (3D hexagone, glassy screen, neon borders)
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:36:44 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I could buy it, but since it doesn't perfectly correspond to what I want to make, I won't buy it (the camera movements, the logo on the glass, and the fact that it seems to have been created to show photos and no videos, are the reasons why I'm not completely interested in this creation). I'm trying to create a similar work on AE, on my own, whithout any elements from this template. I'm starting from 0. The main problems I'm encountering right now are the hexagon, and the glassy screens. I already know how to create a 3D square for example, but for an hexagon it seems a bit different. Concerning the glassy screens... I guess there is something about solid/ masks opacity... but i'm not sure.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2015 at 12:53:05 am

There is a problem with templates -- they are notoriously complex. So without looking at the actual compositions, it is almost impossible to tell how the template maker made the effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Margaux Millet
on Jul 31, 2015 at 1:23:26 pm

Well, I thought as much, thank you for your answer. I have already created a topic on another forum about this template. A man told me to create a hexagon in 3D (and link it to a null object to make it move thanks to a camera). That's why my main problem here is how to create such a hexagon. I see how to create a square, an ellipse even a pyramid, but I can't find any tutorial on the internet to make a hexagon. Is there a way? I'd like to find a way to make a glassy screen too.

Actually, I knew that it would be difficult to figure the way to create this out, it was only an example to show you what I was looking for. Acutally I'm just looking for a way to create a 3D hexagon and a glassy screen. I mean, the template here doesn't matter that much, it is just an example.

If it is too hard for you to figure it out, I know I will have to buy the template, but since it will not be as useful for me as expected, I would prefer to find another way to make it.

Thank you very much for your help anyway :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2015 at 4:40:01 pm

It's not that it's tough, it's that we can't SEE how it was done. Off the top of my head, I can think of five different ways to make a hexagon in AE... but which one is used in the template?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]