ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vertically centring paragraph text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McPhersonVertically centring paragraph text
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:25:49 am

I am using a template composition to substitute various lengths of text in a number of instances of a custom graphic in Premiere Pro CC2015. The custom graphic contains a circle shape with the template text set up as paragraph text with its bounding box centred above the circle. Although I can centre justify the text horizontally within the bounding box, I cannot find a way of centring the text vertically within the bounding box. The solution I am looking for must work automatically with the various length text strings used for the different instances throughout the Premiere sequence.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vertically centring paragraph text
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:53:43 pm

Sorry, but you're going to run ionto a brick wall on that one unless you pore over the script options available from scripting web sites.

You're actually not CENTERING the text vertically as much as you're POSITIONING the text vertically to APPEAR to be centered betseen the top of the screen and something else.

And if you have too much text, it wouldn't fit into that area anyway.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John McPhersonRe: Vertically centring paragraph text
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 10:56:53 pm

Thanks for your response Dave. I had just about come to that conclusion myself after a lot of on line searching but wanted expert confirmation from an industry expert such as yourself. I did find a Mamoworld script advertised that does something similar but it lacks the precision I was after. I would be interested to know how many other users have hit the brick wall on this one. If a lot, perhaps this should be a new feature request to Adobe.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vertically centring paragraph text
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:23:09 pm

Well, AE doesn't lend itself to much automation AT ALL. It just wasn't designed for that sort of thing. The stuff you can automate in it are more or less conincidental. You can file a feature request on the Adobe web site if it's really important to you. But you have to keep after 'em -- the squeaky wheel gets the grease, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]