ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make a person's hair messy in a unsteady shaky footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeMake a person's hair messy in a unsteady shaky footage
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 5:27:25 am

Greetings video veterans! Any idea how to make a girl's (or to not be sexist, any person's) hair in a severely moving or shaking footage messy/unkempt? I have tried using the puppet pin tool but it tends to distort her face altogether. It was even a bootless effort applying the puppet starch tool around her face, just so that her face remains intact but blah up to no avail. Well perhaps you can use it? but I have just smattering knowledge about the parameters; I do know what those mesh and whatnots mean but as I fiddled them, the result looked even worse. Any other built-in fx ideal for making somebody's hair messy inside AE that you can recommend me using? Also it is a food for thought that the footage is shaky, making the process even harder but I think I can deal with the shaky by keyframing the mask or alternatively the rotobrush (I purposely need the shaky cam effect, so I would abstain from stabilizing the shot, only if I need to). So thank you people. P.S. I've searched high and low for any existing topic regarding this one but found nothing. btw I may not be smart but don't be too rude this time :P

Return to posts index

Ken TeutschRe: Make a person's hair messy in a unsteady shaky footage
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 9:11:53 pm

I doubt you are going to get the effect you want by distorting the image.

You might find an image of a person with properly messy hair, cut out the hair in Photoshop, then overlay the new hair over the person's actual hair.

You could then use the point tracker to track a couple of points on the face (eyeballs?) and use that information to parent the new hair to the face. If there is not a lot of head-turning, that might work fairly well. It isn't like this is going to fool anybody, but if you were fooling around with mesh warps I assume you don't expect this effect to be hyper-realistic...

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Make a person's hair messy in a unsteady shaky footage
by on Jul 16, 2015 at 9:19:34 pm

After effects is not the right venue for this. If you're really serious about doing this, you'll need to hire a 3D artist to create a model that you can composite on. Hair simulation and replacement is just not something that AE is remotely capable of. Once you have a 3D modeled haircut that's animated to match the movements of the gal's head, you can then use AE to track and composite the new hair onto your actor.

If you came here looking to learn anything at all, learn this: it is way easier to get it right on set than to fix it in post!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Make a person's hair messy in a unsteady shaky footage
by on Jul 18, 2015 at 4:05:12 pm

Amen to that!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]