ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make lines of code combine into an object?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rene Burgos
How to make lines of code combine into an object?
on Jul 16, 2015 at 12:40:05 am

Hi all,

For a project I'm trying to make numerous lines of code going down the screen come together and make square blocks that will eventually become an object. What would be the best way to approach this so that it doesn't come off as a tacky effect?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to make lines of code combine into an object?
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:32:31 pm

I can think of several, very different things your words could be describing. Could you talk about your intent in more detail and perhaps show some story boards or examples?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Rene Burgos
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:46:24 pm

I apologize for the vague explanation. Basically I'm trying to have lines of random code on the screen generating or "compiling". While this is happening, the camera is zooming back which will make the lines of code look smaller to the point where they look just like blocks which will be stacking up creating an object.

Attached is a rough sketch of what I'm trying to explain.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 20, 2015 at 7:12:14 pm

So you want to pull out from code and see it as blocks. You then want to make a bunch of blocks for some sort of shape.
All in a very 2d scenario.

In the example you showed, it looks pretty simple. There are text raining effect in the animation presets that ship with AE. If those don't work for what you need, it's not very hard to build one yourself.

Turning them into blocks is a bit trickier. If you use a bold enough typeface, that might be all you need. Maybe animate the stroke getting a bit thicker or use some sort of Matte Choker in negative values to make it more blocky. Or just use a fractal kind of wipe to bring in a block shape over top of the text.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]