ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mixing different frame rates?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brown
Mixing different frame rates?
on Jul 8, 2015 at 10:38:03 pm

I have to work on a wedding video and I shot some video with my SLR at 60p but the bride wants me to use clips from her camera as well, but hers was standard definition 29.97fps. I am assuming if I create a composition in AE that is set for 29.97 that my 60p clips will play half speed, correct? I've never tried to mix different frame rates into one comp. The end product will be a DVD for their wedding, and possibly a 720p online short version posted to vimeo or youtube. Can anyone tell me what frame rate the comp should be set to, and do I need to use the time stretch or rerender my 60p clips to 29.97 first? Sorry if these are newb questions but this is my first big project like this in AE and I can't find any help from Adobe's help files. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Mixing different frame rates?
on Jul 9, 2015 at 5:09:40 pm

They will not play at a different frame rate unless you tell them to. Dropping different frame rates into the same AE comp will not cause a problem.

Although, I'd recommend editing with Premiere Pro rather than AE. AE is terrible at editing. Premiere, also, will not have an issue with mixing those frame rates.

You can make your composition/sequence in either frame rate. The difference is that the footage will look different if you use the higher frame rate because you'll see the different frame rates because the lower fps will be doubled (essentially). If you use the lower frame rate, all the footage will be at that frame rate.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dan Brown
on Jul 9, 2015 at 6:09:26 pm

I bought CS5 back before they were going the online subscription option, so I've been kinda indignant on using AE. I realize there are better options now but it also gives me the ability to do some effects that premiere won't. I had used the old premiere (not Pro) years back and liked it for the most part.

Anyway, I appreciate the reply. I did a quick test and confirmed what you are saying. I started getting the dreaded "after effects error overflow converting ratio denominators 17 18" and was starting to think it was directly because of using 60p and 24p videos in the same project. That's why I was asking initially. I got the errors to shut up long enough to render it. So far so good!

Return to posts index

Matthew Wood
on Jul 10, 2015 at 7:09:43 am

Dropping them into a single comp definitely WILL cause a problem, not sure what he means by that.. Best bet is to create separate comps for the different frame rates and then inside the 29.97 comp, go to comp settings and click the tab up top and you will see an option to keep frame rate when nested.

It has been my experience that it will "only" work if you are trying to nest a higher frame rate comp into a lower one... Telling a 24fps comp to keep rate when nested, and then putting into 29.97 comp, for me, has never worked

-----------------------------------------------
Shifted Leering, Any Perspective
Shifting Literally All Perceptions
SLAP

Blood type O negative. I bleed zeros and ones

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 10, 2015 at 1:43:18 pm

It depends on how he wants the end result to look. If he drops them both in a 29.97 comp/sequence, it will look like all of his footage was shot 29.97 and the end user will be happy.

If he drops them in a 59.94 comp/sequence, the 29.97 footage will be doubling frames, but it will still work. The end user will probably still be happy. However, it will be more noticeable that OP's camera is different from hers even though she might not know why.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dan Brown
on Jul 10, 2015 at 2:52:11 pm

Her video was 29.97 (not 24p, my bad) so that's what the comp was set to originally since I knew it was going to be a DVD. But yeah, it's very obvious her film is nowhere near the quality of mine lol, it's an early 2000's pocket camcorder. And it was an indoor wedding with poor lighting so the ISO and digital zoom was ROUGH, but the customer is always right! Especially when it's a friend. =)

One last question regarding FPS. Normally I create an HD version for the web and try to do some nice slow motion clips for dramatic effect. If I wanted to slow down my 60p clips inside a 29.97 comp I could just turn off frame blending for that clip once I drag it into the timeline, correct?

I appreciate the feedback guys!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:36:42 pm

No. (You don't need frame blending on to make it play normally either.)

To make 59.94 footage slow in a 29.97 comp/sequence, you have two options.

1. Simply time stretch it. You should turn frame blending on if you time stretch to any value other than half speed, but if it's playing at half speed, it'll just use the frames you've already shot.

2. Tell AE or Premiere to interpret that footage at 29.97. If you want it even slower, time stretch it...again, you'll need to turn on frame blending to make it seem smoother.

AE has a couple of different ways to do frame blending. The one that uses optical flow technology can do some great things when slowing footage down, but it depends on the shot.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]