ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

animating path stroke from anchor point to anchor point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfred Steineranimating path stroke from anchor point to anchor point
by on Jul 5, 2015 at 11:26:49 pm

Hey there,
I ve made animated a path in the way that i set the starting anchor point in the first keyframe then i took a step forward to the next frame and added another anchor point which is then keyframed and so on.
so the path grows from anchor point to anchor point in each keyframe.

now because the path is very long (about 3000 anchor points in the end of the animation) i need an automation for the following :
I want the path stroke to be only visible from most recent anchor point in the the keyframe i am in ( for example in keyframe number 10 ) 5 anchor points back. that means from anchor point 10 to 9, from 9 to 8, 8 to 7, 7 to 6 and 6 to 5.

so just for understanding when im at the 50th keyframe where i already have 50 anchor points set, in that keyframe i only want to see the last five lines also.
so that i get a construct of 5 lines in result.
I hope anyone gets what i mean and can help me out.
I cannot find anythin on google considering effects working with the anchor point numbers.

Does anyone know if/ how it is possible do?

best wishes,
Alfred Steiner

Return to posts index

Mark AndrewsRe: animating path stroke from anchor point to anchor point
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:01:22 pm

Not sure exactly how to get it to do what you want with that stroke. Are you using the stroke for another purpose also?

Not sure if this helps but you could use a simple stroke on a solid and then use the Stroke effect and animate the start and end points of the stroke. You could probably use that effect on your stroke also really. then set the start point to 100 and the end point to some other percentage based on the length of the stroke.

I'm going to try to include a screenshot of the basic stroke I created with the effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved